Top 10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
When you start researching scholarship opportunities, you will quickly find out that many of the scholarship programs for which you qualify involve writing a scholarship worthy essay. Very few programs are based strictly on an application form or transcript. Scholarship committees like essays because they are able to get a better sense of who the applicants really are from reading their original writing than from simply looking at a form or seeing a listing of completed classes and grades.
College scholarship essay contests actually level the playing field so that students from different backgrounds with varying levels of accomplishments have equal chances of winning college scholarships. Essays offer great opportunities for all students who meet the stated requirements for a scholarship program.
When you are faced with the challenge of scholarship essay writing, remind yourself that the effort you put into writing your essay represents the chance to sell yourself to the scholarship committee. A winning scholarship essay is one that truly sets a particular applicant apart from the others. If you tell your story clearly and persuasively, you just might find yourself receiving a congratulatory letter from the scholarship committee!
10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
- Read the instructions and make sure you understand them before you start writing. That includes paying attention to the formatting requirements, like font family and size.
- Think about what you are going to write and organize your thoughts before you start writing. Brainstorm first, and edit your ideas second.
- Begin the writing process by writing a comprehensive outline. Include your thesis statement, supporting statements and carefully-typed out quotes or citations that you plan to use in your essay.
- Use clear, concise and simple language throughout the essay. Try varying up your sentence structure to add rhythm to your writing.
- Write proudly of your accomplishments, but avoid bragging. Essay judges want to see your self-confidence come through, but it always benefits you to come off as humble.
- Make sure your grammar and spelling are impeccable by using the Spelling and Grammar check tool in your word processor of choice. Try printing your essay out to get another perspective on how it reads. Typos that you skim by on the screen might pop out on paper.
- Mind your word count. Some scholarship essay contests have a minimum and maximum word requirement. Your word processor should have a word count tool to help you gage your progress. If your essay is too long and you need to remove words to shorten it, try eliminating adverbs first.
- Follow a typical essay format. Scholarship essay contests are not the time to experiment with form. Your essay should have an introduction, one to three body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- Read the essay prompt/question again and then read your essay to be certain that the essay addresses every point. If your essay is missing something critical from the scholarship requirements, you may be immediately disqualified.
- Have someone with strong writing and editing skills proofread the essay before you submit it. This could be a parent, teacher, tutor or even a friend.
Scholarship Essay Example
Title: Code of Dreams – The Journey into the World of Computer Science
Every dreamer has a starting point, a moment that ignites their passion. For me, that moment was sparked by an old desktop computer. That dependable Apple machine drew me into the enigmatic world of technology and innovation and inspired a dream – to use technology to change the world.
My love for coding happened in the seventh grade. It was like unlocking a secret language, a way to converse with the digital world. The sheer joy of creating something new, of untangling complex problems using this newfound language, set me on a fascinating voyage of continuous discovery.
However, like any voyage, mine was not always smooth sailing. There were storms of doubt, fear of failure, and days when the complexities of coding seemed overwhelming. But during these turbulent times, I would remind myself of the lighthouse guiding my journey, my dream – to harness the power of technology for the betterment of people's lives.
Whether it is crafting an app that assists visually impaired individuals in navigating their surroundings safely, or developing a program that can identify early signs of diseases, I believe in the vast potential of technology to enact positive change.
Winning this scholarship would be a life changing opportunity to continue to pursue a higher education to achieve my career goals. It would provide the resources I need to follow my passion for coding, moving me closer to my mission of changing lives, one line of code at a time. It would be a vital steppingstone on my path towards turning my dreams into reality.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sets a winning scholarship essay apart from others?
A winning scholarship essay is deeply personal and engaging. It showcases your unique experiences, challenges, and ambitions. It illustrates how the scholarship will aid you in achieving your goals. The key is to let your own story shine through.
Is it necessary to tell a story in a scholarship essay?
Incorporating a story into your scholarship essay makes it relatable and memorable. By narrating your experiences, you can highlight your growth and perseverance. The story should ideally convey your passion for your chosen field and your aspiration to make a difference.
How can I express my need for the scholarship?
Express your need for the scholarship by explaining how it can contribute to your academic journey and future goals. While it's important to mention financial need, it shouldn't overshadow your achievements and aspirations.
How should I conclude my scholarship essay?
Your conclusion should reinforce the key points of your essay and reflect on how the scholarship can support your goals. Aim to leave a lasting impression that makes your essay stand out and compels the reader to believe in your potential.