Top 10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
When you start researching scholarship opportunities, you will quickly find out that many of the scholarship programs for which you qualify involve writing a scholarship worthy essay. Very few programs are based strictly on an application form or transcript. Scholarship committees like essays because they are able to get a better sense of who the applicants really are from reading their original writing than from simply looking at a form or seeing a listing of completed classes and grades.
College scholarship essay contests actually level the playing field so that students from different backgrounds with varying levels of accomplishments have equal chances of winning college scholarships. Essays offer great opportunities for all students who meet the stated requirements for a scholarship program.
When you are faced with the challenge of scholarship essay writing, remind yourself that the effort you put into writing your essay represents the chance to sell yourself to the scholarship committee. A winning scholarship essay is one that truly sets a particular applicant apart from the others. If you tell your story clearly and persuasively, you just might find yourself receiving a congratulatory letter from the scholarship committee!
10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
- Read the instructions and make sure you understand them before you start writing.
- Think about what you are going to write and organize your thoughts before you start writing.
- Begin the writing process by writing an outline.
- Make sure your outline touches on every aspect required per the instructions.
- Write your essay by elaborating on each of the points in your outline.
- Use clear, concise and simple language throughout the essay.
- State your accomplishments without coming across as if you are bragging.
- Make sure your grammar and spelling are impeccable.
- Read the question again and then read your essay to be certain that the essay addresses every point.
- Have someone with strong writing and editing skills proofread the essay before you submit it.
Last Reviewed: March 2017
- Apply for Scholarships
- Create Success: Find Money for College
- Etiquette and the Scholarship Search
- Finding Scholarships; How & Where to Look
- High School Students: Investigate Scholarship Options Early
- Scholarship Application
- Scholarship Application Deadlines
- Scholarship Essays: Efficient Scholarship Essay Writing for the Uninitiated
- Scholarship Guidelines; Help Us Help You Find Scholarships
- Scholarship Strategy: Creating a Successful Approach
- Scholarship Strategy: The Scholarship Application Process
- Simplify Scholarship Essay Writing: Get Organized
- The Scholarship Letter of Recommendation
- Tips for Formatting Scholarship Application Essays
- Top 10 Tips for Directing a Scholarship-Worthy Video
- Top 10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
- Winning Scholarships; Attention to Detail Will Pay Off
- Write A Scholarship-Worthy Essay
- Featured Scholarships
- LGBTQ Scholarships
- Scholarship Application Strategies
- Scholarship Directory
- Scholarship Information
- Scholarships by Grade Level
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships Trending Now
- Scholarships.com Scholarships
- Sports Scholarships
- Success Stories
Latest College & Financial Aid News
March 24, 2017
by Susan Dutca
What do spring college scholarships bring? Potentially thousands of dollars in free college money to help foot your college tuition bill! Whether you are relaxing over spring break or heavy into spring cleaning, don't forget to do your academic and financial aid housekeeping. Explore these spring-centric awards, as well as college scholarships with spring 2017 deadlines. Or if you prefer, conduct your own free college scholarship search here: [...]
March 21, 2017
by Susan Dutca
Finding a way to pay for college is a whole mess in itself. Add to that the stress of filling out a FAFSA and now, the removal of a key I.R.S. tool that made the process somewhat less difficult, and you have millions of students in limbo, panicking about how they will pay for college. [...]
March 14, 2017
by Susan Dutca
Although many students admit they're embarrassed to ask for money, crowdfunding has proven to be successful for students with the help of friends, families, colleagues and even strangers. [...]