Top 10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
When you start researching scholarship opportunities, you will quickly find out that many of the scholarship programs for which you qualify involve writing a scholarship worthy essay. Very few programs are based strictly on an application form or transcript. Scholarship committees like essays because they are able to get a better sense of who the applicants really are from reading their original writing than from simply looking at a form or seeing a listing of completed classes and grades.
College scholarship essay contests actually level the playing field so that students from different backgrounds with varying levels of accomplishments have equal chances of winning college scholarships. Essays offer great opportunities for all students who meet the stated requirements for a scholarship program.
When you are faced with the challenge of scholarship essay writing, remind yourself that the effort you put into writing your essay represents the chance to sell yourself to the scholarship committee. A winning scholarship essay is one that truly sets a particular applicant apart from the others. If you tell your story clearly and persuasively, you just might find yourself receiving a congratulatory letter from the scholarship committee!
10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
- Read the instructions and make sure you understand them before you start writing.
- Think about what you are going to write and organize your thoughts before you start writing.
- Begin the writing process by writing an outline.
- Make sure your outline touches on every aspect required per the instructions.
- Write your essay by elaborating on each of the points in your outline.
- Use clear, concise and simple language throughout the essay.
- State your accomplishments without coming across as if you are bragging.
- Make sure your grammar and spelling are impeccable.
- Read the question again and then read your essay to be certain that the essay addresses every point.
- Have someone with strong writing and editing skills proofread the essay before you submit it.
Last Edited: June 2015
- Apply for Scholarships
- Create Success: Find Money for College
- Etiquette and the Scholarship Search
- Finding Scholarships; How & Where to Look
- High School Students: Investigate Scholarship Options Early
- Scholarship Application
- Scholarship Application Deadlines
- Scholarship Essays: Efficient Scholarship Essay Writing for the Uninitiated
- Scholarship Guidelines; Help Us Help You Find Scholarships
- Scholarship Strategy: Creating a Successful Approach
- Scholarship Strategy: The Scholarship Application Process
- Simplify Scholarship Essay Writing: Get Organized
- The Scholarship Letter of Recommendation
- Tips for Formatting Scholarship Application Essays
- Top 10 Tips for Directing a Scholarship-Worthy Video
- Top 10 Tips for Writing Effective Scholarship Essays
- Winning Scholarships; Attention to Detail Will Pay Off
- Write A Scholarship-Worthy Essay
- Featured Scholarships
- LGBTQ Scholarships
- Scholarship Application Strategies
- Scholarship Information
- Scholarships by Grade Level
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships Trending Now
- Scholarships.com Scholarships
- Sports Scholarships
- Success Stories
- The Common Scholarship Application
Latest College & Financial Aid News
June 29, 2015
With a decision that will rewrite United States history, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled Friday that the Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage. The Chronicle of Higher Education recently reported that for most colleges, the impact for employees and students will be minimal but uncertainty looms at Christian colleges. The SCOTUS decision could potentially affect [...]
June 29, 2015
by Erica LewisMy name is Erica Lewis and I attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where I am majoring in food science and technology. I chose UNL because it was the right fit for me: It was close to home but far enough away that I didn't feel like my parents were right there! UNL also offered many great scholarship opportunities, which made it more affordable than many of the other schools that I looked [...]
June 26, 2015
As an undergraduate at Seattle University, Rob Monkman was held at gunpoint, robbed and helplessly watched as the assailants kidnapped his roommate. What seemed like his worst nightmare had become a life or death reality: The robbers threatened to kill his roommate if he called the police, leaving the fate of two young lives in unpredictable hands. Fortunately, he and his roommate came out of the [...]