The ASFPM Foundation has established eligibility criteria for the Future Leaders Scholarship, and along with a demonstration of financial need, the student must be pursuing a course of study related to the vision of the ASFPM Foundation. After graduation the student must plan to work in a profession that focuses on reducing the risk and impacts of floods on people and communities.
The Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM) Foundation is offering the Future Leaders Scholarship, a prestigious opportunity for students passionate about flood management. The scholarship provides financial support, mentoring, and professional opportunities to undergraduate students committed to advancing the ASFPM Foundation's vision of reducing the risk and impacts of floods on people and communities.
- Award: Up to $20,000 per year for two years
- Eligibility: U.S. citizens or permanent residents entering their junior year or fourth year of a 5-year dual undergraduate degree program in Fall, studying in a field related to floods and flood management.
- Criteria: Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5, attending an accredited U.S. college or university, pursuing a course of study related to the ASFPM Foundation's vision, demonstrating financial need.
- U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident alien status
- Minimum of 1 year of studies at a college or university by January
- Entering junior year or fourth year of a 5-year dual undergraduate degree program in Fall
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5 at the completion of the prior Fall Semester
- Attending an accredited U.S. college or university
- Pursuing a course of study related to the vision of the ASFPM Foundation
- Cumulative GPA
- Employment history, including internships
- Awards, achievements, and honors
- Volunteer activities and hobbies
- Evaluation of two required essays
- Demonstrated communication skills
- Demonstrated financial need
- Desire and willingness to participate in ASFPM activities
Application Deadline: February 1st
- Complete the online application.
- Submit all required attachments by the application deadline.
- High-ranking candidates will be contacted by February 15th, for additional letters of recommendation.
- Interviews with selected candidates will be conducted in March or April.
- The ASFPM Foundation Future Leader Scholar will be announced by May.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency Status
- Transcript of cumulative GPA from the prior Fall Semester or its equivalent trimester (2.5 or above)
- Copy of your most recent FAFSA
- Resume listing employment history, awards, achievements, and/or honors
- Two essays as described in the application
- Describe your personal background, including how or why you became interested in flood issues or the Future Leaders Scholarship.
- Discuss how your completed and planned coursework will prepare you for a career in addressing flood issues.
- Include any statements of financial need.
Challenges and Contributions:
- Identify the challenges in reducing the risk and impacts of floods on people and communities today.
- Share your perspective on how you can contribute and make a difference in addressing flood issues in the U.S. and its territories in the future.