Established in 1990 by a/e ProNet, a professional association providing risk management services to architects and engineers, the David W. Lakamp Architect Scholarship continues to honor the legacy of David W. Lakamp, a founding member of a/e ProNet and a trusted advisor in the field of insurance services. This annual scholarship, now named in his honor, is awarded to up to two students demonstrating a strong interest in practice and risk management within the architecture profession, with each recipient receiving a $5,000 award.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- U.S. Citizen
- A fourth-year student in a NAAB accredited degree program; OR
- A fourth-year student of a four-year pre-professional degree program in architecture accepted for direct entry to a two-year NAAB accredited M.Arch program; OR
- A first-year student in a NAAB accredited M.Arch degree program for students with undergraduate degrees in another discipline.
- A personal biography highlighting interest or concentration in practice or risk management (200 words)
- A professional resume
- A response to a case study topic included in the application (500 words)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application Period: October 1 - January 31
- Review Period: February-March
- Scholarship recipient selection meeting: April
- Scholarship recipients notified: Immediately following the meeting
- First scholarship disbursement: August
The review process uses a points breakdown with a maximum total of 30 possible points, covering Letters of Recommendation, Resume, Biography, and Case Study Response.
- Letters of Recommendation: 5 Possible (each)
- Resume: 5 Possible
- Biography: 5 Possible
- Case Study Response: 10 Possible
- Incomplete applications are immediately disqualified.
- The top 10 applicants are identified based on scores.
- Jurors discuss the top applications, recommending applicants for consideration.
- Final deliberations take place in a final jury call to determine scholarship recipients.
- Scholarship recipients receive a phone call notifying them of their award.
- All other applicants receive an email notification indicating they did not receive the award.
The a/e ProNet David W. Lakamp Architect Scholarship is not just a financial support initiative but a recognition of dedication to practice and risk management within the architecture profession.