Winning a Coolidge Scholarship isn't just about winning money for college - it's about joining a community. The award, from the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation, honors former president Calvin Coolidge, who was dedicated to academics and had a passion for public speaking.
With a substantial prize of $120,000 that can be used to cover tuition, room, board, and other expenses, The Coolidge Foundation will select two or three new scholarship recipients each year. Applicants have the freedom to use the scholarship at any accredited U.S. college or university for any major of study. Finalists will be invited to attend an interview weekend in Vermont, with expenses covered for themselves and a guardian. All applicants are notified of outcomes by the summer.
- This full-tuition scholarship covers a full four years of undergraduate study at any accredited U.S. college or university.
- Orientation at the Coolidge Historic Site
- All finalists will be invited to interview in Plymouth Notch, VT with all expenses paid for themselves and one guest.
- Though not all applicants will be named Coolidge Scholars, 100 of the top applicants will be named "Coolidge Senators" and can take part in an all-expenses-paid trip to the Senators Summit in Washington, D.C.
- This award is for current high school juniors intending to enroll full-time in an accredited U.S. college or university in fall. High school seniors may not apply.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents.
- Family members of the Coolidge Scholars Program or the Calvin Coolidge Presidential Foundation are not eligible to apply for this award.
- The award honors students who appreciate and embody Coolidge's core values. Though it's not restricted just to students planning to study government or public policy, applicants should appreciate values like respect and ambition.
- The scholarship seeks students who are dedicated to public service and have shown a commitment to improving their communities.
- Complete the online application when the portal opens in the fall.
- Request your official transcripts be sent directly to the Coolidge Foundation.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
- If you're selected as a finalist, you must travel to Vermont (expenses are paid) to participate in an interview weekend.
Who Should Apply?
The Coolidge Scholarship is ideal for current high school juniors who are U.S. citizens and plan to enroll full-time in a U.S. college or university. The scholarship is geared toward students with an interest in public policy, community service, and leadership experience, but students of any major can apply.