D.C. Adoption Scholarship (DCAS)
DCAS was authorized by the Adoption Voucher Act of 2001. The Act appropriated a federal payment of $1 million to establish a scholarship fund for the post-secondary education of District of Columbia children who were adopted on or after October 1, 2001 and/or children who lost one or both parents as a result of the events of September 11, 2001.
Applicant must be:
- Adopted on/after October 1, 2001, through the District of Columbia’s Child & Family Services, DC’s foster care system, or lost one (1) or both parents as a result of the events of September 11, 2001 while they were domiciled in the District of Columbia and continues domicile through the tenure in college
- A U.S. citizen or have eligible non-citizenship status
- A high school graduate or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) recipient
- Age 24 or younger before deadline date
- In a non-default status with federal student loans
- Accepted for enrollment in, or working towards, a first-time, undergraduate degree on, at least, a part-time basis (Professional or graduate-level degree candidates are not eligible)
NOTE: Renewing applicants must meet and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), as defined by the college/university of enrollment or accepted enrollment.