When it’s time to starting making solid decisions about enrolling in college, many people have questions about how to choose a college major. Selecting a college major is a personal decision that involves you to spend time reflecting on your goals, likes, dislikes, skills, and aptitudes.
Selecting a college major is an important decision, and it is not one that should be made lightly. It is important to remember, however, that declaring a major is not an irreversible decision. It is not uncommon for college students to change majors one or more times after they enroll in college.
Some factors to consider when selecting a college major include:
- What type of career can you see yourself in?
- What type of work do you enjoy?
- What are your interests?
- Which subjects did you enjoy studying the most in high school?
- If you completed a career assessment in high school, what did the results indicate? (If you have never taken such an assessment, consider taking a college major test before selecting a program of study.)
- What type of skills do you have?
- Do you have any hobbies that you would like to pursue as a career?
- What did you learn about what you like and dislike from your past work experience?
- Are there in-demand career fields in the geographic areas where you would like to live following graduation?
The answers to these questions can help guide your selection of a college major. For example, if you held part time positions in retail while in high school and you absolutely hated the work, you can immediately scratch retail management off your list. However, if you enjoyed the part of the job that involved setting up product displays, you might seriously want to consider a major in visual merchandising. Of course, once you have all the answers to the "What" to study and "Where" to go to school, you should go to Scholarships.com for the answer to "How" am I going to pay for all of this?!?!
Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships by conducting a free scholarship search at Scholarships.com. Scholarships.com offers the simplest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Make your college education affordable or even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.