Edvisors Private Student Loans

Professor's Homicide Temporarily Shuts Down University in Mississippi

September 15, 2015
Found on  Delta State University's school website is a picture of fellow professors Ethan Schmidt and Shannon side by side, smiling at a 2013 holiday party. That same year, Schmidt mentioned Lamb in the acknowledgements of his book Native Americans in the American Revolution. Now, both professors are dead after Dr. Schmidt was shot in his office at Delta State Monday morning and suspect Lamb died from a self-inflicted wound while evading police, stating he's not going to jail. Lamb was also a suspect in the earlier homicide of his domestic partner Amy Prentiss, at their home roughly 300 miles south of Delta State. Cleveland Police Chief Charles Bingham claims there is no known motive at the time being - Lamb allegedly believed Prentiss was romantically involved with Schmidt but there is no current evidence of a love triangle.

Found on Delta State University's school website is a picture of fellow professors Ethan Schmidt and Shannon side by side, smiling at a 2013 holiday party. That same year, Schmidt mentioned Lamb in the acknowledgements of his book "Native Americans in the American Revolution." Now, both professors are dead after Dr. Schmidt was shot in his office at Delta State Monday morning and suspect Lamb died from a self-inflicted wound while evading police, stating he's "not going to jail." Lamb was also a suspect in the earlier homicide of his domestic partner Amy Prentiss, at their home roughly 300 miles south of Delta State. Cleveland Police Chief Charles Bingham claims there is no known motive at the time being - Lamb allegedly believed Prentiss was romantically involved with Schmidt but there is no current evidence of a love triangle.

The manhunt for Lamb continued throughout the day Monday and ended when police had spotted Lamb exiting his vehicle and fleeing into the woods. After hearing a single gunshot ring, police found Lamb's body with a gunshot wound to the head. Up until this time, Delta University and all local schools were sent into lockdown, urging students and faculty members to remain indoors and away from windows.

Lamb received his doctorate in education from Delta State University in 2015 and had worked at the university since 2009, teaching geography and education courses. Schmidt received his doctorate from the University of Kansas in Colonial America and Indigenous people and specialized in American history. According to the university's president, Schmidt was a "star" of the faculty. Schmidt is lauded for being one of the "brightest students" at his alma mater, Emporia State, and was "on the road to being one of the great scholars of American history."

The campus lockdown was lifted late Monday, and Tuesday classes were cancelled in order to hold a vigil in honor of the staff member's death.

Posted Under : College News , Scholarships

Li T  on  9/22/2015 4:18:05 PM commented:

My prayers go to everyone related. Family, coworkers, friends, students... I wish you all the strength at the moment.

Rodrigo C.S  on  9/20/2015 8:53:16 PM commented:

I would like to see Collage as a new chapter of my life and there are pages yet to be filled out. I'm not going to lie here, the life of an undocumented student can be tough. I pray that I can receive scholarships. It would help me and my family out a lot. I want to be able to prove not just to myself but to the whole world, that an undocumented student can make it in the world. Something that I want others like me to see, and never to give up. Life will be like this, but it doesn't mean you can't change it.

Makalea G  on  9/20/2015 6:09:29 PM commented:

Prayers to everyone involved!

Danielle H  on  9/20/2015 10:16:57 AM commented:

I'll never understand what drives an individual to do something like that, not knowing how many people they are going to hurt in doing so. This just shows that there was some sort of internal conflict between Schmidt and possibly other staff members. But it got to the point that it drove a beloved teacher to take his life, and for that I'm truly sorry. I hope everyone is ok and no one else got hurt and I send my best wishes to those who were close with Schmidt and the ones who are now in a better place.

Briahja J  on  9/19/2015 4:20:32 PM commented:

this is a very upsetting crime and i feel like it is unusual that a person could just take someone's life away just of their suspicions, it's really crazy

Trevor H.  on  9/18/2015 8:05:31 AM commented:

Prayers to the families and friends most affected by this event.

Julia S  on  9/17/2015 9:37:12 PM commented:

It's crazy to think that some people have the mental capacity to take another person's life. It's also crazy to realize that it's in our nature as animals, an instinct to survive. No matter how much we strive to teach our children, tragedies such as this will continue happening and possibly forever. People tend to refuse to see the truth because sometimes the truth is so hard to believe that we end up not believing it. We learn to deal with the pain and move forward, but never forget. As the faculty, students, and family deal with this horrible loss, I'll be praying for them.

Brandon R  on  9/17/2015 4:28:16 AM commented:

The world is a scary place at times but media and news make murders look almost like the norm. I wrote a research paper on "Propaganda and American media". These acts of treason to our own humanity are almost unpredictable as to why or when a person would commit such violence, unfortunately. The only conclusion I can come to is to never be in the position of possibly provoking someone so drastically, because we don't know where their mind resides and how they think. It is truely tragic of this happening and I hope they can rest. Our high school was shut down for 5 days last year because of a man that sniped 2 state police officers leaving the station, so it is very scary and mostly not preventable.

Kaitlyn W  on  9/16/2015 7:52:37 PM commented:

Praying for the University and those families affected by this.

Miranda R  on  9/16/2015 5:36:10 PM commented:

Praying for those who have lost a loved one. Being able to receive this scholarship would be very beneficial to my future as I plan to attend a 4 year university.

Katrina S-P.  on  9/16/2015 4:55:54 PM commented:

Im praying for the family, coworkers, students, and others associated with these people.

Debra Nunn  on  9/15/2015 10:41:12 PM commented:

Praying for the University, faculty, students, and everyone who lives in the area.

Skylar Z  on  9/15/2015 7:05:04 PM commented:

I am a senior in high school, these occurrences of violence and death are the reason we need educated citizens. Unfortunately with the lack of funding and lack of value this country has placed on teens recently is going to unfortunately destroy this country. There are many adults who can't pass our own citizen test, and many teens who can't graduate high school without cheating. These issues represent how the economic, political, and American global involvement is in a pivotal point and we need scholarships to fund our futures to create a nation, United, again

Takira F  on  9/15/2015 6:39:36 PM commented:

I would love a scholarship. It would really be a great help to myself and my family. Paying for college right now for me would be a very challenging task, Due to lack of money. I am sincerely sorry for what happened to the professors

Travis B  on  9/15/2015 6:37:07 PM commented:

I'm a lower class white male qh will have trouble paying for college due to lack of scholarships or funds that will be provided

Hallory l.  on  9/15/2015 6:31:33 PM commented:

Any types of scholarships would be greatly appreciated as I start going to college next fall!

Jennifer S.  on  9/15/2015 6:12:13 PM commented:

I am glad to be going to school online! I am praying for the family and student.

Daniela A  on  9/15/2015 6:05:45 PM commented:

I'm From Colombia but I'm in USA I want to going to college and I hope find a scholarships , I'm with my friend in this country and we are trying to find opportunities

Lizbeth H  on  9/15/2015 5:38:03 PM commented:

Having a scholarship to go to college and help my mom out would mean a lot. No one ever went to college in my family and my mom is a single parent so my goal is to make her happy and attend a college or university.

Rodnie L  on  9/15/2015 5:04:15 PM commented:

I would like to have a scholarship support, I m a junior

Tiana B.  on  9/15/2015 4:29:13 PM commented:

I'd really appreciate a scholarship. Thank you for your help.

Brandon Hence  on  9/15/2015 3:50:08 PM commented:

ok

Esther T  on  9/15/2015 3:34:27 PM commented:

I would love scholarship support for my daughter. She's in her senior year in school and I'm a single parent. Any help will do.

Ashlyn F.  on  9/15/2015 2:59:54 PM commented:

Being able to get a scholarship would be amazing,& help my family magnificent.

Evelia Castillo  on  9/15/2015 2:33:50 PM commented:

I will love to have any scholarship support!

Said shire  on  9/15/2015 2:15:02 PM commented:

What the youth do is not something they want to, it's what life demands for it's sustenance!!

The coronavirus pandemic has affected nearly everything about college – and for some schools, that includes tuition. Beyond tuition freezes or removing application fees, these colleges have gone one step further in reducing costs for their students. A tuition discount recognizes not only the economic difficulties many students and their families are facing due to COVID-19, but also acknowledges that mostly or entirely online classes are generally not perceived as being worth the same amount of money as a full residential college experience. Some of these institutions also plan to offer additional scholarship funding to the students who need it most.

Schools Offering Tuition Discounts This Fall

August 14, 2020 11:41 AM
by Izzy Hall
You may be surprised to learn that many of your fellow college students struggle with hunger. About 1 in 5 students are affected by food insecurity. In a normal time, not getting enough to eat can impact students’ grades, health and ability to finish their degrees. And a loss of campus jobs, housing and meal plans due to the pandemic puts more students in danger of going without the food they need. That’s where student-run food banks and pantries come in.

Student-Run Food Banks Making a Difference on Campus

August 11, 2020 10:57 AM
by Izzy Hall
Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott, founder of the Giving Pledge charity, has been looking to donate her considerable wealth to worthy causes. Among the charities and institutions where she has donated money are a number of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), including Howard University and Tuskegee University.

Charitable Donations to HBCUs from Noted Philanthropist

August 6, 2020 11:29 AM
by Izzy Hall
The federal work-study program is a way in which college students can work part- or full-time while simultaneously attending school in order to help pay for college-related expenses. The program, available at the undergraduate, graduate and professional level, may face some changes amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

College Work-Study Jobs Face Changes During Pandemic

August 4, 2020 4:04 PM
Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, the current chairman of the Senate education committee, has recently proposed the Student Loan Repayment and FAFSA Simplification Act, a piece of legislation that would allow students with no income to forgo federal student loan repayments. His recommendations, which he developed with bipartisan support, would also simplify the FAFSA and reduce the number of federal loan repayment options from nine to two.

Senator Outlines Student Loan Relief in New Proposal

July 30, 2020 11:49 AM
by Izzy Hall
Have your financial circumstances changed due to COVID-19? You’re not alone. Many students and their families have faced unemployment, reduced job hours and general loss of economic stability in the wake of the pandemic. And as the FAFSA determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) based on income from the previous year, students may have greater financial need now than they did when they initially filed for federal aid. Unfortunately, the deadline to submit the FAFSA passed at the end of June. However, it is not too late to appeal your student financial aid from your chosen institution.

It’s Not Too Late: Guide to Appealing Financial Aid

July 28, 2020 1:20 PM
by Izzy Hall
The FAFSA is a critical tool for both applying to colleges and applying to scholarships – in fact, need-based scholarships often require that you submit the FAFSA as part of your application. So, in a time of economic uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic, it’s surprising to learn that many low-income and minority students did not submit the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year even though they would’ve been eligible for federal aid. At Scholarships.com, we don’t want students to miss out on any form of college financial aid. Applications for the next academic year will open soon, so get prepared by reviewing these FAFSA facts.

The FAFSA: Why You Should File (And How!)

July 23, 2020 3:47 PM
by Izzy Hall
While the CDC has not finalized their guidelines for reopening schools for the Fall 2020 semester, the New York Times discovered an unreleased document in which the organization reviews the safety protocol of a handful of institutions of higher education. How are the reviewed schools planning on confronting the coronavirus on campus this fall?

CDC Reviews Higher Ed Reopening Plans for Fall 2020