Top 10 Highest Paying College Majors
An important consideration when choosing a major is the possibility of gaining lucrative employment following graduation. In a perfect world, the best college major would simply be the one that interests you the most, period. Naturally, your level of interest in the field should be weighed more heavily than any other, as this is something of which you intend to make a career. If you’re really passionate about a certain field that won’t necessarily have you retiring early (social workers, for example, make an average of $39,400 per year), don’t let a potential salary sway you. Helping others or entering a career you love is priceless, and many of the careers below will require some study beyond undergraduate school for you to advance in those fields. But if you have a particular knack for math or science and aren't necessarily sure where those skills would translate best, consider the kinds of careers that could offer a generous return for your investment.
Listed below are the 10 highest-paying college majors as of 2013. The list comes courtesy of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), which conducts surveys of college graduates’ job offers. Data for the NACE survey are reported by employers, represent accepted starting salaries (not salary offers), and are produced through a compilation of data derived from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. Census Bureau, and a master set of data developed by Job Search Intelligence.
- Petroleum Engineering ($93,500 average starting salary)
- Computer Engineering ($71,700 average starting salary)
- Chemical Engineering ($67,600 average starting salary
- Computer Science ($64,800 average starting salary)
- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering ($64,400 average starting salary)
- Mechanical Engineering ($64,000 average starting salary)
- Electrical/Electronics and Communications Engineering ($63,400 average starting salary)
- Management Information Systems/Business ($63,100 average starting salary)
- Engineering Technology ($62,200 average starting salary)
- Finance ($57,400 average starting salary)
While in the process of conducting your scholarship search at Scholarships.com, you might want to consider one or more of the following majors, just to keep your options open. Our free college search can also help you find colleges and universities that offer programs in any of the top 10 highest-paying college majors.
- 10 Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Major
- How to Choose a College Major
- The Most Popular College Majors
- Top 10 Highest Paying College Majors
- Understanding Different College Majors
- What’s So Special About Specialized Majors? - Narrowing Your Focus is Both Risky and Rewarding
- Working Toward Your College Goals - Don't Pit Your Goals Against One Another, Put Them Into Action!
Latest College & Financial Aid News
October 5, 2015
by Erica LewisOh, yes, group projects. When it comes to group projects, you either love 'em or hate 'em. There's really no in-between. So how do you keep your cool when you can't stand your partners or the project itself? Divide the work evenly. Don't let one person do all the work and then have the other names attached to the project. Although the load may be carried more heavily by one [...]
September 29, 2015
by Susan DutcaIn less than a month the world of higher education has moved forward with changes to the traditional approaches in the college application and admission process - first, with the simplified and updated FAFSA to appear in October 2016 and now, with 80 colleges and universities building a platform to streamline the application process that they hope to debut in summer of 2016. The goal is to get [...]
September 28, 2015
One of the things necessary for success in college is being a well-rounded person. No matter what career field you choose to enter, reading and writing is essential. Therefore, every college student should strive to read a wide variety of literature. Below are several popular and timeless books that every college student should read: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. A classic [...]