Top 10 Highest Paying College Majors
An important consideration when choosing a major is the possibility of gaining lucrative employment following graduation. In a perfect world, the best college major would simply be the one that interests you the most, period. Naturally, your level of interest in the field should be weighed more heavily than any other, as this is something of which you intend to make a career. If you’re really passionate about a certain field that won’t necessarily have you retiring early (social workers, for example, make an average of $39,400 per year), don’t let a potential salary sway you. Helping others or entering a career you love is priceless, and many of the careers below will require some study beyond undergraduate school for you to advance in those fields. But if you have a particular knack for math or science and aren't necessarily sure where those skills would translate best, consider the kinds of careers that could offer a generous return for your investment.
Listed below are the 10 highest-paying college majors as of 2013. The list comes courtesy of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), which conducts surveys of college graduates’ job offers. Data for the NACE survey are reported by employers, represent accepted starting salaries (not salary offers), and are produced through a compilation of data derived from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. Census Bureau, and a master set of data developed by Job Search Intelligence.
- Petroleum Engineering ($93,500 average starting salary)
- Computer Engineering ($71,700 average starting salary)
- Chemical Engineering ($67,600 average starting salary
- Computer Science ($64,800 average starting salary)
- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering ($64,400 average starting salary)
- Mechanical Engineering ($64,000 average starting salary)
- Electrical/Electronics and Communications Engineering ($63,400 average starting salary)
- Management Information Systems/Business ($63,100 average starting salary)
- Engineering Technology ($62,200 average starting salary)
- Finance ($57,400 average starting salary)
While in the process of conducting your scholarship search at Scholarships.com, you might want to consider one or more of the following majors, just to keep your options open. Our free college search can also help you find colleges and universities that offer programs in any of the top 10 highest-paying college majors.
- 10 Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Major
- How to Choose a College Major
- The Most Popular College Majors
- Top 10 Highest Paying College Majors
- Understanding Different College Majors
- What’s So Special About Specialized Majors? - Narrowing Your Focus is Both Risky and Rewarding
- Working Toward Your College Goals - Don't Pit Your Goals Against One Another, Put Them Into Action!
Latest College & Financial Aid News
May 27, 2016
by Susan DutcaOne former and one current DePaul student disrupted a presentation at the school's student center earlier this week. One of them snatched the microphone from the interviewer and appeared to threaten the guest speaker, Milo Yiannopolous, with it. The disturbance was reportedly due to the fundamental disagreement with the subject matter being presented, as it ran counter to that of the protesters [...]
May 24, 2016
by Susan Dutca12-year-old Tanishq Abraham has already earned three associate's degrees and has been accepted to two University of California system four-year colleges. 60 percent of college students today are twice that age before they earn a single bachelor's degree. Tanishq Abraham started taking college courses at age 7 and has been accepted to UC Davis and received the highest honor - a Regents [...]
May 19, 2016
by Susan DutcaNetflix is every college student's delight and distraction. What should've been a two-hour study session ended up being 5 hours of watching Game of Thrones. Apply for one of these Top 10 Scholarships in the time it takes you an episode or two of your favorite TV series. The Scholarships.com "Tell A Friend" $1,000 Sweepstakes Deadline: 6/30/2016 [...]