Top 10 Highest Paying College Majors
An important consideration when choosing a major is the possibility of gaining lucrative employment following graduation. In a perfect world, the best college major would simply be the one that interests you the most, period. Naturally, your level of interest in the field should be weighed more heavily than any other, as this is something of which you intend to make a career. If you’re really passionate about a certain field that won’t necessarily have you retiring early (social workers, for example, make an average of $39,400 per year), don’t let a potential salary sway you. Helping others or entering a career you love is priceless, and many of the careers below will require some study beyond undergraduate school for you to advance in those fields. But if you have a particular knack for math or science and aren't necessarily sure where those skills would translate best, consider the kinds of careers that could offer a generous return for your investment.
Listed below are the 10 highest-paying college majors as of 2013. The list comes courtesy of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), which conducts surveys of college graduates’ job offers. Data for the NACE survey are reported by employers, represent accepted starting salaries (not salary offers), and are produced through a compilation of data derived from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. Census Bureau, and a master set of data developed by Job Search Intelligence.
- Petroleum Engineering ($93,500 average starting salary)
- Computer Engineering ($71,700 average starting salary)
- Chemical Engineering ($67,600 average starting salary
- Computer Science ($64,800 average starting salary)
- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering ($64,400 average starting salary)
- Mechanical Engineering ($64,000 average starting salary)
- Electrical/Electronics and Communications Engineering ($63,400 average starting salary)
- Management Information Systems/Business ($63,100 average starting salary)
- Engineering Technology ($62,200 average starting salary)
- Finance ($57,400 average starting salary)
While in the process of conducting your scholarship search at Scholarships.com, you might want to consider one or more of the following majors, just to keep your options open. Our free college search can also help you find colleges and universities that offer programs in any of the top 10 highest-paying college majors.
- 10 Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Major
- How to Choose a College Major
- The Most Popular College Majors
- Top 10 Highest Paying College Majors
- Understanding Different College Majors
- What’s So Special About Specialized Majors? - Narrowing Your Focus is Both Risky and Rewarding
- Working Toward Your College Goals - Don't Pit Your Goals Against One Another, Put Them Into Action!
Latest College & Financial Aid News
November 24, 2015
by Susan DutcaThe University of Ottawa recently suspended their yoga class after students raised concerns that the exercises were offensive and a form of "cultural appropriation." Instructor Jennifer Sharf, who teaches the class for free, feels "people are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find." The Student Federation, who also happen to be the ones to invite Scharf to the [...]
November 19, 2015
by Susan DutcaAccording to Breitbart news, a 21-year old student at the U.K.'s University of York committed suicide 24 hours before the university's cancellation of International Men's Day. After 200 feminist campaigners, students, staff and alumni expressed their fury over a professor's comments about International Men's Day, the university decided to not observe the November 19 holiday and instead continue [...]
November 17, 2015
by Susan DutcaThe University of York cancelled International Men's Day (IMD) on Thursday after outraged students, staff, and alumni protested comments made by a male faculty member and requested an apology for "the manner in which it [the release] was framed." Dr. Aidan Lee of the University’s Equality and Diversity Committee stated that "[although there's focus on] raising awareness about - and removing [...]