Tips for Taking Standardized Tests
Taking standardized tests can be very stressful. Following these standardized test taking tips can reduce your anxiety and enhance your performance.
Before the Test
- Spend time working through standardized test practice items for several weeks before your scheduled test date.
- Find out if there is a score penarly for wrong answers so that your will know whether you should guess at answers you don't know.
- Get a good night's sleep the evening before the test.
- Eat a healthy, protein-rich breakfast the morning of your test.
- Arrive at the testing facility a few minutes early.
- Relax your mind before the test begins.
During the Test
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Read each question carefully, paying attention to details.
- Pay attention to time passing in relation to the time allotment.
- Don't get distracted by other testers in the room.
- If you come across a question that is difficult, don't spend all of your time on it. Move on and come back to it at the end.
- Don't second guess yourself by changing your first answers unless you are 100% certain.
- Don't fall into the trap of looking for patterns in the answers. There really can be three (or more) "C" answers in a row.
- When you are finished, look closely to make sure that you haven't overlooked any questions.