Tips for Taking Standardized Tests
Taking standardized tests can be very stressful. Following these standardized test taking tips can reduce your anxiety and enhance your performance.
Before the Test
- Spend time working through standardized test practice items for several weeks before your scheduled test date.
- Find out if there is a score penarly for wrong answers so that your will know whether you should guess at answers you don't know.
- Get a good night's sleep the evening before the test.
- Eat a healthy, protein-rich breakfast the morning of your test.
- Arrive at the testing facility a few minutes early.
- Relax your mind before the test begins.
During the Test
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Read each question carefully, paying attention to details.
- Pay attention to time passing in relation to the time allotment.
- Don't get distracted by other testers in the room.
- If you come across a question that is difficult, don't spend all of your time on it. Move on and come back to it at the end.
- Don't second guess yourself by changing your first answers unless you are 100% certain.
- Don't fall into the trap of looking for patterns in the answers. There really can be three (or more) "C" answers in a row.
- When you are finished, look closely to make sure that you haven't overlooked any questions.
- Making the Most of Standardized Test Prep
- Making the Most of Your SAT/ACT Test Day
- Many Colleges Require ACT Standardized Test for Admission
- Mastering the ACT
- Mastering the GMAT
- Mastering the GRE
- Mastering the LSAT
- Mastering the MCAT
- Mastering the SAT
- Plans for GRE Alterations Reversed
- Preparing for Standardized Math Test Questions
- The SAT and ACT
- Tips for Answering Multiple Choice Questions on Standardized Tests
- Tips for Answering True/False Questions on Standardized Tests
- Tips for Taking Standardized Tests
Latest College & Financial Aid News
June 23, 2017
by Susan Dutca
When it comes to earning scholarships for college, some students have the "go big or go home" mentality and chase the big buck scholarship opportunities. Landing a huge scholarship may take more work - meaning more time spent on the application process and essays, needing strong recommendation letters and competing against a pool of highly-qualified students. If you're motivated to land a large dollar scholarship that can potentially pay for your entire college tuition, check out these generously-endowed scholarships: [...]
June 22, 2017
When it comes to college applications, most students worry more about whether or not their grades are high enough, whether their essays are well-written, or if they have enough extracurricular activities. College recommendation letters are often lower on the list of priorities and are often hastily asked for close to the deadline. However, college recommendation letters are often one of the most common ways to distinguish between quality applications. Below are several ways to avoid getting tepid college recommendation letters that make your otherwise quality application look lackluster. [...]
June 22, 2017
by Susan Dutca
Everyone knows big-name companies such as Google or Coca-Cola...but did you know that these companies also offer scholarship opportunities to help you pay for college? That's right! If you love these quality products and services, you may be interested these generously-endowed scholarships. Check out this list of brand name scholarships offered by the companies with which you are most familiar: [...]