The American College of Surgeons takes pride in offering International Guest Scholarships to young surgeons from countries outside the United States or Canada. These scholarships are designed for individuals who have showcased a strong commitment to teaching and research.
Valued at $10,000 each, these scholarships provide a unique opportunity for scholars to immerse themselves in clinical, teaching, and research activities in the U.S. and Canada. Furthermore, scholars get the chance to actively participate in the educational opportunities and events of the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
Endowment and Legacy:
Originally established through the legacy of Paul R. Hawley, MD (FACS Hon), a former College Director, this scholarship endowment has grown with generous contributions from the family of Abdol Islami, MD (FACS), the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and other donors. These contributions have allowed the College to increase the number of scholarship awards, extending the impact of this prestigious program.
To be eligible for the International Guest Scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Graduates of medical schools who have completed their surgical training.
• Aged between 35 and 50 on the date of the completed application.
• Applications must be submitted from the intended permanent location. Processing will commence only when applicants have practiced surgery, taught, or engaged in research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following the completion of all formal training, including fellowships and scholarships.
• Demonstrated commitment to teaching and/or research, aligning with the standards of the applicant's country.
• Early careerists are considered more suitable than those in senior academic appointments.
Interested candidates can initiate the application process by [insert application details].
The American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships is not just a financial support system; it's a pathway for aspiring surgeons to broaden their horizons, collaborate globally, and contribute to advancements in the field. Join us in fostering excellence in surgical practice and research.