Centex Homes established the Centex Homes/National Housing Endowment Build Your Future Scholarship in 1999. These scholarships provide tuition assistance to undergraduate students pursuing careers in the building industry. The scholarship fund was created to assist in addressing the pressing need for educating and training managers in the building industry. The vision and mission of this program is to establish a permanent source of scholarship funding to help students nationwide achieve their career goals.
• The applicant must be registered as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student for the Fall term and have at least one full academic year of course work remaining after the scholarship is awarded.
• High school seniors are not eligible to apply.
• Preference will be given to applicants who would be unable to afford a college education without assistance.
• Preference will be given to students who demonstrate their interest in residential construction through one or more of the following activities:
1. Work experience/internships in the industry, such as trades, laborers, clerks, estimators, or other related positions
2. Membership and participation in service organizations/activities related to the building industry
3. Current membership (or will be a member in the upcoming semester) of a student chapter of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) with both A) elected officers and B) a demonstrated program of activities. Students whose school does not have a chapter are still welcome to apply.
• Applicants must be pursuing study in a housing related program such as construction management, residential building, construction technology, civil engineering, architecture, or any of the trade specialties at the institution they attend.
• Applicants must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of A) 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for all courses and B) 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for core curriculum courses. Should the GPA fall below these requirements, the Centex Homes/National Housing Endowment Scholarship Committee reserves the right to cease further funding of the scholarship.
• All portions of the application must be completed and submitted – see Application Preparation or the Application Checklist for further information. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all portions of the application are postmarked by the deadline. Applications postmarked after the deadline may not be considered.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
• Financial need (for educational purposes)
• Career goals
• Academic achievement, including GPA
• Employment history
• Extra curricular activities
For more information and to download the application form, please visit: