Student Suicide Facts and Prevention

June 7, 2012
by Lisa Lowdermilk
It was with great sadness that I read about the suicide of Wendy Chang, a college student at Harvard University...even more so when I learned that four other Boston students have already committed suicide this year.

Even though I never met any of the students personally, I feel that every suicide is a tragedy, especially when I think about how this topic, as well as depression, are still viewed as taboo . While I can understand why some people prefer to avoid talking about death, depression and suicide, I also think that we need to realize that we don't understand what a depressed person is going through unless we do talk about such issues. People contemplating suicide will almost always reach out to someone first and it is our duty to help them.

So if another student comes to you expressing a desire to commit suicide, don't immediately judge him or her. Chances are, he or she is well aware of the stigmatism attached to suicide and is reluctant to admit being suicidal in the first place. Instead, listen, thank the individual for being courageous enough to confide in you and help him or her find help for people contemplating suicide. Virtually every college has resources specifically designed to help students cope with the many stressors of college and life in general. And should you or someone you know confide in the individuals in charge of these services, you can do so knowing that they will keep your circumstances private.

My condolences go out to Wendy's family, as well as to all the families who have ever lost a relative to suicide. Their loved ones will not be forgotten.

Lisa Lowdermilk is a published poet, avid video gamer and artist. Her poems have appeared in Celebrate Young Poets: West (Fall 2006) edition and Widener University's The Blue Route. She enjoys watching thrillers, trying different restaurants and attempting to breakdance. Lisa is now majoring in professional writing at the University of Colorado Denver.

Getting more college financial aid doesn’t have to be a relentless search. Scholarships.com is totally free. Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships at any time by searching for awards in a variety of ways. Scholarships.com offers the quickest and easiest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Start making your college education affordable or perhaps even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Lisa L.  on  1/1/2016 7:43:21 PM commented:

Hi Bailey, Sorry I'm just now responding to your comment; I actually just saw it by accident today. First off, thank you so much for responding to my article and having the courage to talk about your experience. I'm so, so sorry to hear your best friend committed suicide; I can only imagine what you must still be going through. I too want to help others who deal with depression and anxiety. Currently, I'm learning about muscle testing, as well as something called "The Body Code," with the intent of helping others. If you would like to talk more about these topics or anything in general, feel free to email me at oasis1893481@hotmail.com. Take care, my friend!

Bailey A  on  11/21/2015 5:54:21 PM commented:

I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety about three years ago. I was having thoughts of suicide and I was also cutting. My best friend helped me out of the hole I was in. Then, last year, September 22nd, 2014, that same best friend committed suicide. Because of that experience, I want to be able to help others who have gone through these same things.

First-time community college students in California may be able to get a discounted, or even free college education thanks to a new California College Promise law. The point of the program is to create the environment and alignment that will help students finish college.

Community College Comp'd in California?

October 17, 2017 9:12 AM
by Susan Dutca
First-time community college students in California may be able to get a discounted, or even free college education thanks to a new "California College Promise" law. The point of the program is to

Students and families who use Scholarships.com as their one-stop shop for free college and financial aid information and opportunities is the reason why we are thankful. As a way of saying thanks, we’ve come up with a way for you the squash student loan debt with these November Scholarships. For even more scholarships in November, click here.

Gobble Up these November Scholarships

October 6, 2017 12:02 PM
by Susan Dutca
Warren Wilson College, a school known for attracting liberal students, is seeking to recruit conservative students in effort to broaden [their] appeal to those with all kinds of worldviews. Other college and university leaders claim that the 2016 election serves as inspiration for this initiative and they are also fearful that their institutions are disconnected from conservatives who make up a majority in much of the country.

Liberal School Seeking to Recruit Conservative Students

October 3, 2017 11:17 AM
by Susan Dutca
Warren Wilson College, a school known for attracting liberal students, is seeking to recruit conservative students in effort to "broaden [their] appeal to those with all kinds of worldviews." Other
new study from T. Rowe Price. They are also more willing to prioritize saving for their sons' college over their own retirement.

Parents Save More for Sons’ College Education

September 26, 2017 9:39 AM
by Susan Dutca
Parents of boys are more likely to pay the entire cost of college than those who have girls, according to a new study from T. Rowe Price. They are also more willing to prioritize saving for their

Enjoy a seasonal treat this season with fall scholarships from Scholarships.com to help pay your college tuition bill. Harvest some of the largest dollar scholarships, most prestigious scholarships, and brand name scholarships out there with our list of October scholarships. These autumn scholarships are so good you'll scream! So hurry and apply for these scholarships due in October and don't let them fall by the wayside. For a complete list of scholarships due in October, click here.

Harvest Fall Scholarships for College

September 7, 2017 3:42 PM
by Susan Dutca
If you're pursuing or thinking of pursuing a career in coding, you may be one of the 75,000 aspiring developers to land an Android Scholarship or Web Development Schoalrship, sponsored by Google and Udacity. Google and Udacity have been partnered over the past two years and doled 1,000 and 10,000 scholarships for coders in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

Google, Udacity Offer 75,000 Scholarships for Coders

September 5, 2017 1:14 PM
by Susan Dutca
San Diego State University plans to offer a course titled Black Lives Matter: A Focus on Black Boys and Men in Education, which will be open to the public for enrollment this coming October. The course, which will cover topics of how black men are undervalued in the classroom, is under fire for featuring “speakers whose members have been accused of inciting violence.

Black Lives Matter College Course Faces Criticism

August 30, 2017 8:32 AM
by Susan Dutca
San Diego State University plans to offer a course titled "Black Lives Matter: A Focus on Black Boys and Men in Education," which will be open to the public for enrollment this coming October. The