Colleges Where You Can Earn a Degree for Free

June 16, 2015
by Suada Kolovic
Here at Scholarships.com, we make a point to advocate the importance of funding your college education the right way (for free!) and while financing your higher education solely with scholarships is an amazing feat, there is another factor to consider: colleges with no tuition to be begin with. Yup, they totally exist – check out the 11 colleges below where you can earn a degree for free:

We should also mention that elite universities with healthy endowments also tout financial aid programs that pay 100 percent of tuition, room and board and fees for students from families with certain incomes – $75,000 or less at MIT, $65,000 or less at Harvard and Yale, and $60,000 or less at Columbia, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Brown and Texas A&M. For a more detailed look at any of the schools listed or hundreds of other universities, check out our College Search. And let us know where you’re heading this fall in the comments section!

sabah  on  7/25/2015 4:41:11 PM commented:

I hope to get scholership for nursing

Berea college  on  7/5/2015 3:35:22 PM commented:

i would wish to join berea college to pursue literature or bulding and construction management

martha s.  on  6/30/2015 8:49:12 PM commented:

this is amazing cant wait to try.

Mary E.  on  6/23/2015 10:07:07 PM commented:

Thanks! I hope I get a scholarship

Mary E.  on  6/23/2015 10:05:56 PM commented:

I would like to chech cardiovascular surgeon programs at Vanderbilt, Yale ,Belmont, and Columbia

Mary E.  on  6/23/2015 10:04:13 PM commented:

Thanks!

J S  on  6/23/2015 7:19:49 PM commented:

Texas AM actually does not offer full tuition to families who make under $60,000. Mine made $15,000 last year. They are actually not that good at giving scholarships.

J S  on  6/23/2015 7:16:37 PM commented:

I got into Texas A&M. My family's income was $15,000 this year. A&M does not offer full tuition for people from families under $60,000. They are actually pretty bad with giving scholarships.

Annetta P  on  6/23/2015 3:55:21 PM commented:

I have a degree in healthcare adminstration. But I have been having trouble trying to finish my degree which is my Bachelor Degree and MA Degree due too my financial aid. Plus, I'm on a fixed income as well so I do hope and pray that you could help me out. I do most then appreciate it. Thank you Annetta

Brandon R  on  6/22/2015 6:19:09 PM commented:

Great information! Please forward additional information on these universities.

bonita L  on  6/21/2015 12:02:11 AM commented:

I would like to check the healthcare programs at Harvard, Yale, Columbia and Cornell.

Nontobeko V Sbiya  on  6/20/2015 12:57:33 PM commented:

Education is the key to success,so I believe that this scholarship can help me to change my life.

Aaminah Parker  on  6/19/2015 7:43:55 PM commented:

I believe that the scholarship app is fundamentally helping students be able to afford to earn scholarships and grants that doesn't hinder you financially

Jazmyn Fulton  on  6/19/2015 9:06:38 AM commented:

Alana S.  on  6/18/2015 2:18:51 AM commented:

extremely interesting I didn't know about some of this stuff.

Shailyn F  on  6/17/2015 3:58:52 PM commented:

Very helpful and valuable information

Richard Muñoz  on  6/17/2015 10:50:26 AM commented:

Valuable information.

Jean Brooks  on  6/17/2015 9:12:33 AM commented:

Dear Suada, We are using this site to help find scholarships for my daughter who will be graduating from High School next year. I am so happy to see your name and hope that you are well. Sincerely, Jean Brooks

My daughter will be attending Tuskgegee University  on  6/17/2015 9:07:54 AM commented:

would love to receive more information regarding Scholaship for college tuition. Thank you

nelson kemei  on  6/17/2015 7:23:40 AM commented:

I would like to get an admission to Barclay college under scholarship program since Iam from a humble background. Thank you in advance.

Jasmine Tassin  on  6/16/2015 10:59:16 PM commented:

I think this scholarship could help me pay for school.

Auonna N  on  6/16/2015 9:45:32 PM commented:

This would mean so much to me to be able to go to school and achieve my goals.

V.w  on  6/16/2015 9:25:56 PM commented:

I'm 24 can I still get a scholarship anyway no matter what age???

Jessica B.  on  6/16/2015 6:14:22 PM commented:

I plan on going to Gerioga State Unversity. I hope i get a scholarship

JC  on  6/16/2015 6:08:45 PM commented:

I'm soon to be a junior in high school and I'm working my butt off for these scholarships! Hopefully it will pay off!

Whitney Mason  on  6/16/2015 3:04:14 PM commented:

I plan on going to UCLA this fall and wonder if there is any free money available there?

Aysha Abudayya  on  6/16/2015 3:02:36 PM commented:

Thanks, I hope I get a scholarship

Eugenia Terrell-Bell  on  6/16/2015 2:24:23 PM commented:

Great information, very useful........thanks

The federal government discharged more than $43 million in student loan debt for former students of recently closed for-profit colleges. Students who attended programs operated by Education Corporation of America, Dream Center Education Holdings, Vatterott College and Charlotte School of Law will be able to qualify for a full discharge of their federal loans if they were enrolled when their college closed or withdrew within 120 days of the official closure date and didn’t transfer to another institution, according to Inside Higher Education.

$43M in Loans Forgiven for Students of Closed Colleges

September 6, 2019 9:18 AM
College Board is ditching its previous plan to capture socioeconomic information from students with a single score - also known as an adversity score - when scoring their SAT college admissions test. The score would have taken into account a student's socioeconomic background and the neighborhood in which they grew up.

College Board Backpedals - No Adversity Score to be Added

August 30, 2019 2:05 PM
College Board is ditching its previous plan to capture socioeconomic information from students with a single score - also known as an "adversity score" - when scoring their SAT college admissions
Female-only college and university STEM programs are coming under fire for male discrimination as they attempt to redress gender imbalance in fields such as computer science and engineering. The U.S. Department of Education launched more than two dozen investigations into higher education institutions nationwide - including UC Berkeley, UCLA and USC as well as Yale, Princeton and Rice - which offer female-only scholarships, awards and professional development workshops.

Female-Only Scholarships Under Fire In Higher Ed

August 20, 2019 4:57 PM
Female-only college and university STEM programs are coming under fire for male discrimination as they attempt to "redress gender imbalance" in fields such as computer science and engineering. The
Dozens of suburban Chicago families have been using a legal loophole to help their children get need-based college financial aid and scholarships. By their parents' forfeiting legal guardianship, students are able to declare financial independence so they qualify for federal, state and university financial aid.

Parents Giving Up Guardianship for College Cash?

July 30, 2019 9:24 AM
An Iowa Carpenter sent 33 Iowan students he'd never met to college with the $3 million he had in savings. Prior to his death in 2005, Dale Schroeder told his attorney that he wanted to use the money in his will help send underprivileged students to college. Schroeder's scholarship recipients, also known as Dale's Kids, recently met up to reflect on his generosity and the fact that many of them would have been unable to attend college without Schroeder's help.

Carpenter Comps College Costs for 33 Iowans

July 23, 2019 3:50 PM
Monroe College's IT system was hacked last week, disabling many of its technology systems and platforms as hackers demanded $2 million ransom in Bitcoin to restore access. Faculty, students and staff members were locked out of the college's websites but continued to attend class and hand in homework, regardless.

Another College Cyber Attacked, Hackers Demand $2M Ransom

July 16, 2019 4:16 PM
 Three San Bernardino County women who have been accused of stealing $1 million in federal financial aid from Fullerton college, in California, have been arrested by the U.S. Justice Department and are charged with various counts of mail and wire fraud. The scheme involved enrolling hundreds of mainly non-existent students, successfully applying for grants and loans and pocketing the money.

3 Women Charged in $1M Student Financial Aid Fraud