Netflix, Facebook Founders to Dole Out Billions for Education Reform

January 14, 2016

New year, new initiatives; funded by big name billionaires. Many college students may spend time perusing Facebook or enjoying popular hit series on Netflix such as House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, but the big dogs who founded these entertainment mediums are coming out with greater initiatives: focusing to improve education.

The phrase "the more you have, the more you want" never resonated well with 31-year-old billionaire and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, and Netflix Cofounder and CEO Reed Hastings isn't a big fan of school boards. What do these big shot billionaires share in common? A strategic plan to invest big money in the nation's future education.

Netflix and...Education

Most people are more familiar with the name Netflix than they are that of the man behind it, Reed Hastings - but that could be about to change. Hastings recently took to Facebook to announce a $100,000,000 philanthropic endeavor: the Hastings Fund. The fund will focus on children's education, as reported by Senior Writer Ben Fox Rubin from CNET News. Hastings has served as President of the Technology Network, served on the California Board of Education for four years, donated $1 million to Proposition 39, and much more. In addition, he has also been part of other academies and programs dedicated to developing teaching videos, with a primary concern of growing high-quality charter schools and developing technology that could transform education. He admits he was never "good at following orders," and volunteered for the Peace Corps. in Swaziland, foregoing the opportunity to "buy yachts" in favor of improving K-12 education and trying to "figure out why our education is lagging when technology is increasing at great rates..." Offering a long-term solution would come from expanding charter schools was his intention while attending Stanford. Netflix got in the way, and Hastings never graduated from Stanford, but his education initiatives and dreams lived on. CNET News reports The Hasting Funds' first two gifts will be given to the United Negro College Fund and to the Hispanic Foundation of Silicon Valley, a "total of $1.5 million to support the education of black and Latino college education." Forbes estimates Hasting's net worth surpasses $1 billion, including $900 million in Netflix stock and options.

Facebook CEO Giving $45 billion for Education

Inspired by the birth of their daughter, Max, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan announced a new initiative to dole out 99% of their Facebook shares - valued at $45 billion - throughout their lifetime to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. The world's largest social media CEO intends to "improve this world for the next generation," according to Zuckerberg. Furthermore, he claims the mission to change the world is a "basic moral responsibility to tilt our investments." Primary areas of focus will be on personalized learning, curing disease, connecting people and building strong communities, according to the couple's open letter to their newborn daughter, Maxima.

The organization would be a limited liability company (LLC) as opposed to a traditional philanthropic organization. Though inspired by the $41 billion Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, it differs in that the Gates Foundation is structured as a tax-exempt, non-profit foundation and charitable trust, and is a 501 (3)(c). The Gates Foundation is not only well-known for its profits but for its efforts battling global poverty, the spread of deadly curable diseases, and improving education overall. Though Zuckerberg has a different philanthropic approach from the Gates Foundation, Gates commented that, "As for your decision to give back so generously, and to deepen your commitment now, the first word that comes to mind is: Wow. The example you're setting today is an inspiration to us and the world."

There has been skepticism and criticism in Zuckerberg's choice of structure, as it could potentially maneuver around legal structures and tax strategies. In response to criticism, he claims "The beauty of having an LLC in today's world is No.1, you have the ability to act and react as nimbly as need be to create change." Zuckerberg, for example, would be able to make political donations and is not required to give 5 percent of its value annually. Regardless of how the funds are allocated, the couple's focus is to gradually seek long-term solutions as opposed to pouring all money into one issue, as evidenced by Zuckerberg in his letter to his daughter;" We must make long-term investments over 25, 50, or even 100 years...the greatest challenges require very long time horizons and cannot be solved by short-term thinking."

Do you support or oppose this initiative by top CEO's when it comes to education? Leave us your thoughtful comments below.

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Nicolette S.  on  2/1/2016 8:32:54 AM commented:

I think this is really cool that this billionaires are doing this. This money that they are giving to students for school is really going to help them especially student who are low income and have kid(s) and are barely making it each month. So thank you billionaires.

Lavar S  on  1/30/2016 10:06:44 AM commented:

I look at this as such a great opportunity I just hope as an international student I would be able to benefit. I'm the only child in my family to ever go abroad to study and it's been a little hard on them especially being a child of three. My older brother didn't go to college but it's my goal to be the one that does, I've tried my best in school to keep and maintain good grades now all that's left is for me to be blessed enough to receive a scholarship. This is an amazing effort to further education from Mr. Zuckerberg and Mr. Hasting.

Biology  on  1/29/2016 8:52:23 AM commented:

my name is prefuciouz loui z am Tanzania am steal studiyng but because of the life my family is passing through it gives me hard time perhaps i will get scholarship it would help me to achieve my goals hope i get help.

Brenda W  on  1/27/2016 1:02:54 AM commented:

I am almost finish but ran put or student loans need money to finish up my last year, please help someone. I am a dislocated worker and need my degree to get a better job to care for my family l

Eugene White  on  1/25/2016 8:05:20 PM commented:

My parents never had the opportunity to go to college and they both are very hard working people but can only help me with tuition a little I really want to try to get scholarships so my parents don't have to worry or feel bad.

gbby zavala  on  1/22/2016 9:58:46 PM commented:

Well I need help to keep on going in my studys. I hope I get a scholarship that will help Me become a doctor or at least a RAN. That's my childhood dream to become a doctor ??.

sudhir k  on  1/21/2016 10:49:19 PM commented:

I m from Bihar, India. I m looking for aid for my studies. I m a poorman somehow completed my schooling. I want go for higher study, but struggling financially. I tried 2-3times. But I don't know how to get it. You post Ad of so much money if anyone can support me, I would be grateful, I want go for specifically theological seminary Contact if anyone is willing: sudhirjandaha@gmail.com

Jessica C.  on  1/21/2016 10:45:43 PM commented:

It is a great idea.

Andreas R  on  1/21/2016 11:32:30 AM commented:

The ratio of a child being born with Autism is now 1 in 63. I would like to see more scholarships to help those with mild Asperger Syndrome. They can be successful if people take an interest. I am one of those and I wish there were more people interested in helping us with college. I am going but need scholarships to offset the financial burden.

Ezekiel Seiso  on  1/21/2016 11:31:09 AM commented:

It is a great idea and is powerful.

Margaret B  on  1/19/2016 8:12:49 PM commented:

Sadly so many scholarships are for minority and low income. What about the middle income folks who are in need of money too? We don't qualify for aid because we make too much.

Kirill Neko  on  1/19/2016 6:02:21 PM commented:

Oh, and all of them support Common Core.... I wonder why is that?

Lakeshia G  on  1/19/2016 4:24:34 PM commented:

This is the best opportunity I ever heard. I spend a lot of time on Facebook myself. In to log in to find out that they giving away scholarshipss is really a good idea. That will make a lot of children stay in school.

joe wj  on  1/18/2016 5:35:00 AM commented:

Nice sponsoring this program! I would like to be one opportunist.

John  on  1/17/2016 2:23:58 AM commented:

I support it

Alison m  on  1/15/2016 6:38:09 PM commented:

Thought that this was aswome to hear. Alot of people use Facebook and netfilx and now they are returning to people what they make not many company's do that especially big company's like these...

College is just around the corner, but you still have plenty of time to win scholarships for high school seniors. Now is the best time to start applying because it is your last chance to qualify for awards available only to high school students. Scholarships are one of the best ways to pay for college because you don’t have to pay them back.

Top Scholarships for High School Seniors Graduating 2023

August 17, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
College is a big commitment and burnout is easy if you don’t pace yourself. That said, taking a semester off is a normal thing to do while pursuing your degree. Whether you need a quick break for personal reasons or exciting opportunities, like a once-in-a-lifetime trip or work experience, here’s what you need to know about your scholarship money before taking time off.

Will Taking a Semester Off Hurt My Scholarship Money?

August 5, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid — more commonly known as FAFSA is the key to funding your college education. Not only can the FAFSA connect you to grants, scholarships, and work-study opportunities, but filling out the form is
also the first step to applying for federal student loans. Even though filling out the FAFSA is simple and straightforward, several misconceptions still fly around it. Here are the top FAFSA myths you need to stop believing.

FAFSA Myths You Need to Stop Falling For

July 26, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
The new semester is just around the corner, which means it is time to start thinking about how you are going to afford the new school session. Student loans can be taken out any time of the year and are useful for paying for textbooks, special classes or summer terms and additional living expenses. Choosing the right student loan can help you reach your education and career goals while still keeping your finances balanced. Here’s what to look for before you take out a student loan this summer.

Which Student Loan Is Best for Me?

June 13, 2022
by Ashley Eneriz
As we celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, we reflect on the enormous contributions of Asian Americans and share their culturally rich history. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders make up the fastest-growing racial group in the United States, with more than 23 million it total. However, API individuals, communities, and businesses have been disproportionately impacted by discrimination and criminal acts that have only been exacerbated by the pandemic in recent years. Now more than ever, we need to stand united as Americans against anti-Asian racism.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month 2022 Scholarships

May 25, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
The   Voyager Scholarship was implemented by the Obamas in partnership with Brian Chesky, Co-founder and CEO of Airbnb, who donated $100 million to this program. The mission of this scholarship is to help students pursue careers in public service and solve some of our world’s greatest challenges. The Voyager Scholarship provides students access to education and travel opportunities to help expand their horizons and bring about significant change. During this scholarship’s first year, and it is estimated that 100 college juniors will receive up to $50,000 to cover tution and educational expenses, plus up to $30,000 in international travel stipends and credits. Recipients have the option to renew as seniors.

The Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship for Public Service

May 18, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
The Voyager Scholarship was implemented by the Obamas in partnership with Brian Chesky, Co-founder and CEO of Airbnb, who donated $100 million to this program. The mission of this scholarship is to
Summer is a great time to experience new things outside of the hectic school year routine. For students who want to beef up their resume, make some money, and have a little fun along the way, working a summer job is a great option! A part-time job gives you the unique opportunity to gain real-world experience and begin forging your own career path. You’ll also get the chance to become a better communicator by working with a wide range of customers and co-workers from all walks of life. Explore which types of work environments you might enjoy with these top 4 summer jobs (and related scholarships)!

Top 4 Summer Jobs For High School Students

May 13, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
Applications are currently open for the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) Corporation Foundation’s  Better Together STEM Scholarship! Ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, the program is available to students who are pursuing STEM-related careers at universities in California and Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the U.S. Eligible applicants include graduating high school seniors, college students, veterans, nontraditional students, and adults returning to school and plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate program at an accredited four-year college or university. Don’t delay, applications close on June 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM CT.

PG&E Better Together STEM Scholarship

May 11, 2022
by Liz Montenegro
Applications are currently open for the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) Corporation Foundation’s Better Together STEM Scholarship! Ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, the program is available to students