New York Teen Accepted to all Eight Ivy League Schools

April 6, 2015
by Suada Kolovic
Applying to some of the top schools in the country is unquestionably unnerving but after months of stress, sleepiness nights and chronic stomach pains, it all seems worth it when you read those magical words, Congratulations! You've been accepted. Most would celebrate such an occasion with screams of triumph, followed by an immediate Facebook update or witty tweet sharing their enthusiasm...but what would the proper celebration be when you've been accepted to not one but all eight Ivy League schools? Ask Harold Ekeh.

Applying to some of the top schools in the country is unquestionably unnerving but after months of stress, sleepiness nights and chronic stomach pains, it all seems worth it when you read those magical words, "Congratulations! You've been accepted." Most would celebrate such an occasion with screams of triumph, followed by an immediate Facebook update or witty tweet sharing their enthusiasm...but what would the proper celebration be when you've been accepted to not one but all eight Ivy League schools? Ask Harold Ekeh.

Ekeh has hit the admissions jackpot, receiving acceptance letters from Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and Yale. This outcome, however, wasn’t just luck, for Ekeh is quite the accomplished and well-rounded student: The Elmont Memorial High School senior founded a college mentoring program, was names a 2015 Intel Science Talent Search semifinalist, directs a youth choir at his church, plays the drums, is part of Key Club and Model UN and was elected to the homecoming court. And although he’s yet to make a definitive decision as to where he will enroll this fall, there seems to be a frontrunner. "I am leaning toward Yale. I competed at Yale for Model UN, and I like the passion people at Yale had,” he said. Ekeh will spend the coming weeks visiting all the schools before making his final decision. (For more on his story, head over to New York Post.)

Share your thoughts on Harold Ekeh's story in the comments section and be sure to let us know where you're headed this fall. And for information on the Ivies or countless other universities, use our College Search tool today! And don't forget to try and fund your education with as much free money as possible – a great place to start is by visiting Scholarships.com and conducting a free college scholarship search where you'll get matched with scholarships, grants and other financial aid opportunities that are unique to you!

Incoming college student  on  4/13/2015 7:14:17 AM commented:

congrats! His hard work paid off. He must be really good with time management to be such a well rounded student. He obviously knew what to do to be able to stand out as a student starting high school. A great example.

Angela H  on  4/10/2015 10:28:47 AM commented:

*mind blown*

Peyton T  on  4/9/2015 2:19:24 AM commented:

Such an inspiration for everyone! I applaud this talented guy for all of his effort that has now payed off.

Kayla W.  on  4/8/2015 7:46:18 PM commented:

Wow, this is incredible. That's a major accomplishment and he must be so proud of himself and so grateful... I need to get some tips from him!

mom-  on  4/8/2015 7:12:08 PM commented:

Yay You- job well done!!!!

YEO SAHARASSORO DRISSA  on  4/8/2015 3:34:09 PM commented:

I AM VERY HAPPY FOR THIS BOY , WHO SHOWS THAT KNOWLEDGE IS FOR EVERY RACE !!!! AND WITH JOB FOLLOWED BY ENDEAVOUR , U COULD ACHIEVE EVERYTHING !!!!

Mimi T.  on  4/8/2015 2:28:10 PM commented:

This is mind-blowing!!!!!!!

Ciarra S.  on  4/8/2015 2:09:56 PM commented:

He is truly remarkable! He is the very definition of what students strive for when looking at their future! He is determination and full completion and he's worked hard to get where he is today! May his college and post-college career be successful and full of happiness!

Lily  on  4/8/2015 10:23:08 AM commented:

Congrats! Must be a lot of hard work and stress. You deserve it and wish you the best :)

Arianna Tapia  on  4/8/2015 9:55:47 AM commented:

This is a great story. I admire and feel the same way about why students make the school of their dreams. I am one of those exact students that always had a dream to go to Stanford University ever since I was a freshman in high school. I worked towards my goal to be the best at everything I tried doing besides always being a straight A student throughout my elementary and middle school years. I am an IB student at Ferguson High School, graduating class president for 2015, I have a non profit organization where I send shoes to children in other countries that are in povety, go on mission trips whenever possible, captain of the dance team at school, dance competitively, and my hobby is tap dancing and reading. I teach mentally challenged children how they can move through dance . I received my acceptance letter into Stanford University in December as well as being accepted into all the top schools . Set your goals early in life and work towards them. Your dreams will come true too.

Sampson, E  on  4/8/2015 8:32:03 AM commented:

Good luck to him and well done. I just can't understand how his parents got into America when they only work at Target. Contrary to what Americans think, America is extremely hard to get into (legally) so how did they do it? My family have had to jump through hoops to get here and after 4 years my son still didn't get his green card!

Mia W.  on  4/8/2015 7:44:36 AM commented:

That is absolutely amazing! I'm excited for him. I hope his uses his academic and other talents for good. Great job Harold!

taiwo favour  on  4/8/2015 1:13:51 AM commented:

nice

Tamir A  on  4/8/2015 12:41:18 AM commented:

This is a wonderful thing for less fortunate students. Wish I had known about it before I enrolled in school.

Vivian Q.  on  4/7/2015 11:50:47 PM commented:

What an amazing young man. Super humble too, definitely someone to look up to!

Shelbie P  on  4/7/2015 11:23:13 PM commented:

That is absolutely amazing. What an accomplishment! I wish the best for Harold and hope he succeeds in everything he does!

Kenny G.  on  4/7/2015 9:50:54 PM commented:

Damn.. Dude congrats you must be hella smart !! #preach

Dmitriy T  on  4/7/2015 9:46:03 PM commented:

Now all he has todo is accept white privilege and religious manipulation as facts of life and become a corporate CEO. :)

Viviana R.  on  4/7/2015 9:40:27 PM commented:

So happy for him! :) It's great to see someone getting recognition for their hard work.

Eva C.  on  4/7/2015 8:47:36 PM commented:

I'm very glad for Mr. Ekeh. He is a very talented student with a bright future. I am sure his parents are extremely proud of him. I hope he choses soon so that he can free those spaces for other talented students.

Feyisa M.  on  4/7/2015 8:28:22 PM commented:

Great Man!

Charles Y.  on  4/7/2015 8:24:38 PM commented:

Extremely proud of you Harold! Congratulations!!!! ????????????. Now go and excel, whatever school you choose. I hope some young people will find inspiration in your story.

Lucky A  on  4/7/2015 7:48:09 PM commented:

You are an inspiration to all youth. I can see what a wonderful son you are. I wish you nothing but best!!!

Dene W  on  4/7/2015 7:02:43 PM commented:

Congratlations young man. I feel so much pride for you and your parents. Continue to strive and be your Best Self. May God Bless You All

Jamila B.  on  4/7/2015 6:42:48 PM commented:

Now that's what I call hard work paying off.

Lolz  on  4/7/2015 5:32:06 PM commented:

Cool story

Bianca G.  on  4/7/2015 4:39:53 PM commented:

Wow this is absolutely incredible. I know the adrenaline of excitement when I recoeved my first acceptance letter & could only imagine how Mr.Ekeh felt. I wish him the absolute best for the future. I'm leaning towards UC Santa Cruz & I know we will go where we are all meant to be.

David B.  on  4/7/2015 1:09:22 PM commented:

What this young man has accompliched is nothing short of a blessing. Someone so humble yet so young. We can all learn from him.

The federal government discharged more than $43 million in student loan debt for former students of recently closed for-profit colleges. Students who attended programs operated by Education Corporation of America, Dream Center Education Holdings, Vatterott College and Charlotte School of Law will be able to qualify for a full discharge of their federal loans if they were enrolled when their college closed or withdrew within 120 days of the official closure date and didn’t transfer to another institution, according to Inside Higher Education.

$43M in Loans Forgiven for Students of Closed Colleges

September 6, 2019 9:18 AM
College Board is ditching its previous plan to capture socioeconomic information from students with a single score - also known as an adversity score - when scoring their SAT college admissions test. The score would have taken into account a student's socioeconomic background and the neighborhood in which they grew up.

College Board Backpedals - No Adversity Score to be Added

August 30, 2019 2:05 PM
College Board is ditching its previous plan to capture socioeconomic information from students with a single score - also known as an "adversity score" - when scoring their SAT college admissions
Female-only college and university STEM programs are coming under fire for male discrimination as they attempt to redress gender imbalance in fields such as computer science and engineering. The U.S. Department of Education launched more than two dozen investigations into higher education institutions nationwide - including UC Berkeley, UCLA and USC as well as Yale, Princeton and Rice - which offer female-only scholarships, awards and professional development workshops.

Female-Only Scholarships Under Fire In Higher Ed

August 20, 2019 4:57 PM
Female-only college and university STEM programs are coming under fire for male discrimination as they attempt to "redress gender imbalance" in fields such as computer science and engineering. The
Dozens of suburban Chicago families have been using a legal loophole to help their children get need-based college financial aid and scholarships. By their parents' forfeiting legal guardianship, students are able to declare financial independence so they qualify for federal, state and university financial aid.

Parents Giving Up Guardianship for College Cash?

July 30, 2019 9:24 AM
An Iowa Carpenter sent 33 Iowan students he'd never met to college with the $3 million he had in savings. Prior to his death in 2005, Dale Schroeder told his attorney that he wanted to use the money in his will help send underprivileged students to college. Schroeder's scholarship recipients, also known as Dale's Kids, recently met up to reflect on his generosity and the fact that many of them would have been unable to attend college without Schroeder's help.

Carpenter Comps College Costs for 33 Iowans

July 23, 2019 3:50 PM
Monroe College's IT system was hacked last week, disabling many of its technology systems and platforms as hackers demanded $2 million ransom in Bitcoin to restore access. Faculty, students and staff members were locked out of the college's websites but continued to attend class and hand in homework, regardless.

Another College Cyber Attacked, Hackers Demand $2M Ransom

July 16, 2019 4:16 PM
 Three San Bernardino County women who have been accused of stealing $1 million in federal financial aid from Fullerton college, in California, have been arrested by the U.S. Justice Department and are charged with various counts of mail and wire fraud. The scheme involved enrolling hundreds of mainly non-existent students, successfully applying for grants and loans and pocketing the money.

3 Women Charged in $1M Student Financial Aid Fraud