College Avenue Student Loans Edvisors Private Student Loans

New York Teen Accepted to all Eight Ivy League Schools

April 6, 2015
by Suada Kolovic
Applying to some of the top schools in the country is unquestionably unnerving but after months of stress, sleepiness nights and chronic stomach pains, it all seems worth it when you read those magical words, Congratulations! You've been accepted. Most would celebrate such an occasion with screams of triumph, followed by an immediate Facebook update or witty tweet sharing their enthusiasm...but what would the proper celebration be when you've been accepted to not one but all eight Ivy League schools? Ask Harold Ekeh.

Applying to some of the top schools in the country is unquestionably unnerving but after months of stress, sleepiness nights and chronic stomach pains, it all seems worth it when you read those magical words, "Congratulations! You've been accepted." Most would celebrate such an occasion with screams of triumph, followed by an immediate Facebook update or witty tweet sharing their enthusiasm...but what would the proper celebration be when you've been accepted to not one but all eight Ivy League schools? Ask Harold Ekeh.

Ekeh has hit the admissions jackpot, receiving acceptance letters from Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and Yale. This outcome, however, wasn’t just luck, for Ekeh is quite the accomplished and well-rounded student: The Elmont Memorial High School senior founded a college mentoring program, was names a 2015 Intel Science Talent Search semifinalist, directs a youth choir at his church, plays the drums, is part of Key Club and Model UN and was elected to the homecoming court. And although he’s yet to make a definitive decision as to where he will enroll this fall, there seems to be a frontrunner. "I am leaning toward Yale. I competed at Yale for Model UN, and I like the passion people at Yale had,” he said. Ekeh will spend the coming weeks visiting all the schools before making his final decision. (For more on his story, head over to New York Post.)

Share your thoughts on Harold Ekeh's story in the comments section and be sure to let us know where you're headed this fall. And for information on the Ivies or countless other universities, use our College Search tool today! And don't forget to try and fund your education with as much free money as possible – a great place to start is by visiting Scholarships.com and conducting a free college scholarship search where you'll get matched with scholarships, grants and other financial aid opportunities that are unique to you!

Incoming college student  on  4/13/2015 7:14:17 AM commented:

congrats! His hard work paid off. He must be really good with time management to be such a well rounded student. He obviously knew what to do to be able to stand out as a student starting high school. A great example.

Angela H  on  4/10/2015 10:28:47 AM commented:

*mind blown*

Peyton T  on  4/9/2015 2:19:24 AM commented:

Such an inspiration for everyone! I applaud this talented guy for all of his effort that has now payed off.

Kayla W.  on  4/8/2015 7:46:18 PM commented:

Wow, this is incredible. That's a major accomplishment and he must be so proud of himself and so grateful... I need to get some tips from him!

mom-  on  4/8/2015 7:12:08 PM commented:

Yay You- job well done!!!!

YEO SAHARASSORO DRISSA  on  4/8/2015 3:34:09 PM commented:

I AM VERY HAPPY FOR THIS BOY , WHO SHOWS THAT KNOWLEDGE IS FOR EVERY RACE !!!! AND WITH JOB FOLLOWED BY ENDEAVOUR , U COULD ACHIEVE EVERYTHING !!!!

Mimi T.  on  4/8/2015 2:28:10 PM commented:

This is mind-blowing!!!!!!!

Ciarra S.  on  4/8/2015 2:09:56 PM commented:

He is truly remarkable! He is the very definition of what students strive for when looking at their future! He is determination and full completion and he's worked hard to get where he is today! May his college and post-college career be successful and full of happiness!

Lily  on  4/8/2015 10:23:08 AM commented:

Congrats! Must be a lot of hard work and stress. You deserve it and wish you the best :)

Arianna Tapia  on  4/8/2015 9:55:47 AM commented:

This is a great story. I admire and feel the same way about why students make the school of their dreams. I am one of those exact students that always had a dream to go to Stanford University ever since I was a freshman in high school. I worked towards my goal to be the best at everything I tried doing besides always being a straight A student throughout my elementary and middle school years. I am an IB student at Ferguson High School, graduating class president for 2015, I have a non profit organization where I send shoes to children in other countries that are in povety, go on mission trips whenever possible, captain of the dance team at school, dance competitively, and my hobby is tap dancing and reading. I teach mentally challenged children how they can move through dance . I received my acceptance letter into Stanford University in December as well as being accepted into all the top schools . Set your goals early in life and work towards them. Your dreams will come true too.

Sampson, E  on  4/8/2015 8:32:03 AM commented:

Good luck to him and well done. I just can't understand how his parents got into America when they only work at Target. Contrary to what Americans think, America is extremely hard to get into (legally) so how did they do it? My family have had to jump through hoops to get here and after 4 years my son still didn't get his green card!

Mia W.  on  4/8/2015 7:44:36 AM commented:

That is absolutely amazing! I'm excited for him. I hope his uses his academic and other talents for good. Great job Harold!

taiwo favour  on  4/8/2015 1:13:51 AM commented:

nice

Tamir A  on  4/8/2015 12:41:18 AM commented:

This is a wonderful thing for less fortunate students. Wish I had known about it before I enrolled in school.

Vivian Q.  on  4/7/2015 11:50:47 PM commented:

What an amazing young man. Super humble too, definitely someone to look up to!

Shelbie P  on  4/7/2015 11:23:13 PM commented:

That is absolutely amazing. What an accomplishment! I wish the best for Harold and hope he succeeds in everything he does!

Kenny G.  on  4/7/2015 9:50:54 PM commented:

Damn.. Dude congrats you must be hella smart !! #preach

Dmitriy T  on  4/7/2015 9:46:03 PM commented:

Now all he has todo is accept white privilege and religious manipulation as facts of life and become a corporate CEO. :)

Viviana R.  on  4/7/2015 9:40:27 PM commented:

So happy for him! :) It's great to see someone getting recognition for their hard work.

Eva C.  on  4/7/2015 8:47:36 PM commented:

I'm very glad for Mr. Ekeh. He is a very talented student with a bright future. I am sure his parents are extremely proud of him. I hope he choses soon so that he can free those spaces for other talented students.

Feyisa M.  on  4/7/2015 8:28:22 PM commented:

Great Man!

Charles Y.  on  4/7/2015 8:24:38 PM commented:

Extremely proud of you Harold! Congratulations!!!! ????????????. Now go and excel, whatever school you choose. I hope some young people will find inspiration in your story.

Lucky A  on  4/7/2015 7:48:09 PM commented:

You are an inspiration to all youth. I can see what a wonderful son you are. I wish you nothing but best!!!

Dene W  on  4/7/2015 7:02:43 PM commented:

Congratlations young man. I feel so much pride for you and your parents. Continue to strive and be your Best Self. May God Bless You All

Jamila B.  on  4/7/2015 6:42:48 PM commented:

Now that's what I call hard work paying off.

Lolz  on  4/7/2015 5:32:06 PM commented:

Cool story

Bianca G.  on  4/7/2015 4:39:53 PM commented:

Wow this is absolutely incredible. I know the adrenaline of excitement when I recoeved my first acceptance letter & could only imagine how Mr.Ekeh felt. I wish him the absolute best for the future. I'm leaning towards UC Santa Cruz & I know we will go where we are all meant to be.

David B.  on  4/7/2015 1:09:22 PM commented:

What this young man has accompliched is nothing short of a blessing. Someone so humble yet so young. We can all learn from him.

The college dining hall – a place for food, friends and well-earned breaks. It’s known for a wide array of food bars, buffets, made-to-order stations and generous ice cream offerings. But for the Fall 2020 semester, the dining experience will undergo a reinvention to serve food safely amidst the novel coronavirus. What will the dining halls of the COVID-19 era look like?

New Menus for College Dining in Fall 2020

June 30, 2020 10:56 AM
by Izzy Hall
If you're worried about how you will pay for college during the COVID-19 pandemic, you're not alone. Students and families are concerned about the college financial ramifications as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, and higher education institutions are anticipating an increase in students' financial aid need, as well as a large number of college financial aid appeals. Fortunately, there are ample options and resources to help you pay for college these coming semesters. Explore the various options to find out which works best for your situation - from scholarship deadline extensions to relief provided through the CARES Act and more.

Paying for College during Coronavirus

June 26, 2020 3:48 PM
On June 1st, Kansas State began bringing back student athletes to start football pre-season training with voluntary workouts. By June 20th, with 13 students testing positive for coronavirus, they shut their workout program down. What happened to the Kansas State athletes wasn’t unique – as schools, hoping to bring back the moneymaker that is college football, are discovering. And it provides an early look at what schools could be facing if they plan to re-open their campuses come the fall.

College Football Pre-Season Gets off on Wrong Foot

June 25, 2020 3:14 PM
by Izzy Hall
Students want to go to campus this fall. Schools would like to have them there. But campus won’t be the same as it always has. In order to prevent the spread of coronavirus, colleges and universities are instituting new policies and discussing new living arrangements for their incoming students. Beyond social distancing, face masks and hand sanitizer, here are changes colleges are considering for students living on campus.

What Will Living on Campus Look Like This Fall?

June 16, 2020 10:51 AM
by Izzy Hall
Are you dealing with student debt? You’re not alone. The amount of student debt that Americans owe is a staggeringly-high $1.7 trillion dollars and growing. Almost 70% of graduating high school seniors from the Class of 2019 took out student loans, and it’s likely that percentage will only increase for the Class of 2020. If you’re looking for some help managing your student loans, here are a handful of free and low-cost online resources that can help.

Want Help with Student Debt? Try These Resources