Student Debt Forgiveness Programs Skyrocket

May 6, 2014
by Suada Kolovic
Unless you plan on paying for your college education out-of-pocket, completing the FAFSA and applying for scholarships are essential in your quest for financial aid. But have you considered federal programs that forgive student loan debt almost entirely? It’s an increasingly popular option: According to reports, government officials are trying to rein in federal programs that forgive some student debt, amid rising concerns over the plans’ costs and the possibility they could encourage colleges to push tuition even higher.

The fastest-growing plan requires borrowers to pay 10 percent a year of their discretionary income in monthly installments. The unpaid balances for those working in the public sector or for nonprofits are forgiven after 10 years while those private-sector workers see their debt wiped clear after 20 years. And while there is currently no limit on such debt, the Obama administration has proposed to cap the amount eligible for forgiveness at $57,500 per student. The cost? A report last week from the Brookings Institution estimated that the plan could cost taxpayers $14 billion a year! “Loan forgiveness creates incentives for students to borrow too much to attend college, potentially contributing to rising college prices for everyone,” the study said. The authors went on to recommend the forgiveness provisions to be scrapped entirely. (For more on this story, click here.)

Share your thoughts on federal student debt forgiveness programs in the comments and check out our financial aid section for more information on how to fund your college education.

Getting more college financial aid doesn’t have to be a relentless search. Scholarships.com is totally free. Connect with our massive database of millions of college scholarships at any time by searching for awards in a variety of ways. Scholarships.com offers the quickest and easiest way to search for, apply to, and win college scholarships. Start making your college education affordable or perhaps even free, by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Michelle S  on  5/9/2014 1:01:17 PM commented:

I think this is a great idea and they should stick with it. I had to go back to school because I was stuck to much experience not enough schooling to move up. I am a single parent and working barely keeps up with the bills. Let alone my student loans. At some point I'm sure I'll be able to pay some of it back but honestly if I am obligated to pay all of it I will be in the same boat I'm in now. Barely keeping my head above water. Some people need help most students are single parents or parents struggling to make ends meet. Just trying to get a education and get into a career and support themselves. And technically in the end if it gets paid for by taxes them we are helping pay it as well... And Lynette I will pray for you the best of luck in your journey and for your children...

on  5/7/2014 7:27:02 PM commented:

Are we selling our son short by sending him to a college we can afford (Public University)? We can borrow and send him to his first choice then reneg on our obligation??? We know life is unfair but this is Nuts.!!

Kiana L  on  5/7/2014 8:56:39 AM commented:

Students that have abundant amounts of debt clearly did not count the cost before borrowing the loans. This program gives hope for the students that were not trained and taught adequately by those leading the way for them in the financial transition from high school to college.

Lynnette W  on  5/6/2014 5:20:20 PM commented:

I am hoping that someone will pass the law on the student loan, because there is a cap on how much you can borrower. Going to a 4 years college coast around $60.000 to $70.000, like myself I am to the limit on borrower from Strafford loan. My graduation date and year was for 09/5/2014 This is not going to happen, because I have no way on how to pay for the rest of my class. Students like me needs help on paying for our schooling. I know that anyone who is reading this will saying, " What about getting a job" I do not mind working, that why I am in school, however I have 2 disable kids that live with me, one 17, and the other 10. Both need me around the house now. when my oldest turn 18, that will take a lots off of me, because he need help the most, my 10 years old need me as well, however, I can still work in the morning. So don't be little me, just pray for me. Just because I don't have any money today, to pay for my school, my life can and will change in the blink of your eye, for the better, because I am God child and he do look out for his children.

An Iowa Carpenter sent 33 Iowan students he never met to college with the $3 million he had in savings. Prior to his death in 2005, Dale Schroeder told his attorney that he wanted to direct his will money towards sending underprivileged students to college. Schroeder's scholarship recipients, also known as Dale's Kids, recently met up to reflect on his generosity and the fact that many of them would have been unable to attend college without Schroeder's help.

Carpenter Comps College Costs for 33 Iowans

July 23, 2019 3:50 PM
Monroe College's IT system was hacked last week, disabling many of its technology systems and platforms as hackers demanded $2 million ransom in Bitcoin to restore access. Faculty, students and staff members were locked out of the college's websites but continued to attend class and hand in homework, regardless.

Another College Cyber Attacked, Hackers Demand $2M Ransom

July 16, 2019 4:16 PM
 Three San Bernardino County women who have been accused of stealing $1 million in federal financial aid from Fullerton college, in California, have been arrested by the U.S. Justice Department and are charged with various counts of mail and wire fraud. The scheme involved enrolling hundreds of mainly non-existent students, successfully applying for grants and loans and pocketing the money.

3 Women Charged in $1M Student Financial Aid Fraud

July 2, 2019 11:07 AM

Nothing says 'Merica like these Patriotic Scholarships as we approach Independence Day and remember how, in America, education is a great equalizer. Whether you are an American citizen searching for college scholarships or are studying abroad in the USA, these American-themed scholarships are for those who truly believe in the American dream. In the land of the free, we have plenty of free college scholarships to help you achieve your higher education dreams.

Patriotic Scholarships that Celebrate America

June 27, 2019 1:33 PM

In honor of LGBTQ Pride Month this June, Scholarships.com is recognizing the success of, and providing financial aid resources to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, and queer community and its allies through featured LGBTQ scholarships. These colorful LGBTQ scholarships are not only intended for those who identify as LBTQ or are questioning, but are available to LGBTQ parents and allies, as well. Below is a preview of LGBTQ scholarships that were created to provide economic mobility and equality for LGBTQ students and allies who may face unique challenges on their educational journeys. For even more LGBTQ scholarships, Parent LGBTQ scholarships or LGBTQ Ally scholarships, visit here.

LGBTQ Scholarships for Pride Month

June 6, 2019 3:22 PM

We're bringing the heat with these fiery summer scholarships for which you can apply this summer break. While scholarships are offered year-round, many students have more free time during the summer to devote to scholarship essays and applications, so we encourage you to prioritize financial aid in-between basking in the sun.

Sizzling Summer 2019 Scholarships