How Homeschooling Helped Prepare Me for College

August 29, 2012
by Kara Coleman

For my final Scholarships.com article, I was supposed to write about things homeschooled students can to do adjust to college whether they are living at home and commuting or moving to campus. As I sat holding my pen and staring at a blank piece of paper, however, all I could think about was how homeschooling actually helped better prepare me for college!

Homeschooling taught me how to study and pursue knowledge for myself. One of the top complaints I heard from my peers when I tutored at community college was that they didn’t really know how to study. I was not fed information via lecture when I was growing up – as a kid, my mom and I spent a lot of time reading and learning together and by the time I was in high school, Mom would give me my assignments and I would research and write about them myself.

This approach to education also helped me to think for myself and form my own opinions. My parents taught me to hold my beliefs and convictions to everything my professors tell me and to not be swayed by popular opinion. This sort of critical thinking led me to pursue and accept leadership positions when I began attending college, including editor-in-chief of my school paper and a member of the SGA Cabinet.

Time management is an important lesson that many students learn for the first time in college but I was able to learn how to juggle studying, extracurricular activities and a part-time job during my senior year of high school. In short, homeschooling more than prepared me for college life. If you were homeschooled and are preparing to attend college for the first time this semester, I think you’ll be surprised by how much you can take what you’ve learned at home and apply it to your college experience. Let me know if I’m right!

Kara Coleman graduated from Gadsden State Community College with an Associate of Arts degree and she is currently studying communications with concentration in print journalism at Jacksonville State University. Kara's writing has been featured in Teen Ink magazine and she is a children's author through Big Dif Books; she is also the editor-in-chief of JSU's student newspaper, The Chanticleer.

A. Mitchell  on  2/25/2015 8:00:47 AM commented:

After 10 years attending a private school I have now attended for my 2nd year a home school. Homeschooling was kinda a shock for me, its like Ive been under the warm water now suddenly cold water. It is really good for self-discpline and self-motivation. I would recommend it for sure, too many people are swept with peer-pressure or the ways of this world. Trust in the Lord he will never forsake you or leave you :)

Stephanie S  on  9/11/2012 9:52:01 AM commented:

Thanks so much for writing this article and for telling people homeschooling actually works! Go Homeschool!

Amanda P  on  9/8/2012 12:04:24 PM commented:

That's what I'm talking about!!! Haha, it's so true.

David G  on  9/7/2012 11:31:50 PM commented:

I must agree, that being homeschooled prepared me well for college, and made the transition very easy. The difficult courses that my parents chose for me laid a solid foundation, both academically, and Biblically. This has helped me to be successful while pursuing a difficult major at a university with high academic standards. Thank you Mom and Dad!

There are scholarships for everything on Scholarships.com; for every major, every community and every kind of student. In fact, we even offer a scholarship for students interested in the chicken industry.

A Scholarship for Chicken?

January 19, 2021 10:16 AM
by Izzy Hall
Southern New Hampshire University plans to cut tuition costs by 50% beginning next fall. This deep tuition price cut is a silver lining to the economic pressure the coronavirus pandemic has put on students and their family’s ability to pay for college. SNHU says that making college accessible and affordable to a wider range of students is its primary goal in slashing tuition prices.

College to Offer Half Price Tuition for Fall 2021

January 7, 2021 10:44 AM
by Izzy Hall
January is all about what’s new at Scholarships.com! From our new homepage to our fresh January scholarship offerings, we’re ready to explore all of what 2021 has to offer. Number one on our 2021 list? These fantastic January scholarships! A lot of scholarships open on January 1st and many have January 31st deadlines. Start your new year off right and get cracking on these eight scholarship opportunities before they’re gone!

New Year, New You, New Scholarships

January 5, 2021 1:27 PM
by Izzy Hall
We’re all looking forward to finally putting 2020 behind us on New Year’s Day. Though we could not have guessed what 2020 would bring us just a year ago, we can look towards the future year with a little more hope in our hearts – as well as take a look at some great scholarship opportunities that will come due during the upcoming months! Athletes, animal lovers, artists and writers – there’s a scholarship opportunity here for you to put on your 2021 calendar. Let’s ring in the new year with a list of great scholarships to start applying to today!

Look Ahead: Our 2021 Scholarship Preview

December 29, 2020 3:10 PM
by Izzy Hall
A free scholarship search at Scholarships.com can hook you up with so many options to win free financial aid towards college costs. There are quick and easy scholarships, essay scholarships, and even scholarships based on artistic portfolios and musical performances. When juggling scholarship applications, college apps, and high school classes, students may want to know – which scholarships should they apply for first? Let our guide on how to prioritize scholarship applications help get you organized.

Guide to Prioritizing Scholarship Applications

December 17, 2020 2:23 PM
by Izzy Hall
HBCU Heroes, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing Historically Black College and University (HBCU) students and schools with scholarships and resources, is hosting a charity Esports tournament on Wednesday, December 16th. Rather than a tip-off on a basketball court, pro athletes and gamers will compete on the virtual courts of NBA2K. A planned $50,000 will be awarded in scholarships, prizes and collegiate Esports lab funding to HBCUs.

Charity Raises Money for HBCUs with Esports Tournament

December 15, 2020 11:34 AM
by Izzy Hall
Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, the eight-day festival of lights celebrated each winter by Jewish families. During Hanukkah, menorahs are lit, latkes are fried, dreidels are spun and chocolate coins are eaten. If you’re celebrating Hanukkah this year, take some time to apply to these eight Jewish scholarships – one for each night! You’ll give yourself a chance to win a “present” of free financial aid for college.

Celebrate Hanukkah with Eight Jewish Scholarships