College Avenue Student Loans Edvisors Private Student Loans

The Pros and Cons of Commuting

July 15, 2015
by Ashley Grego
Commuting from home is awesome or awful depending on the student. Do the benefits of commuting outweigh the negatives? As a commuter student, I have firsthand experience with the pros as well as the cons.

Commuting from home is not for everybody but for some, it is really the perfect fit. And if it isn't? Use the money you saved to move onto or closer to campus further into your college years.

1. Boredom: Some colleges are simply limited on the activities students can participate in, which can cause students to become bored easily. As a commuter, however, I know the surrounding areas of my college and never really get bored. If there is nothing on campus, I just hang out friends and do something we would have done in high school like local sporting events or concerts.
  2. Comfort: The hardest thing for many freshmen is adjusting to college life. I didn't have this issue: I get to come home to my family every day, limiting homesickness. My regular schedule has not changed and if I need my parents urgently, they are not far from my reach.
  3. Time Management: Going to college is a big jump from the previous independence most high school students have experienced but the lack of structure can negatively impact your time management. Commuting from home gives you a sample of independence without removing the safety net. Yes, college requires more energy, reading, studying and participation in general; however, living at home means I rely on parents a little bit so I can focus on my studies and not constantly worry about a healthy non-cafeteria meal or laundry. Mom helps me out!
  4. Saving Money: Probably the biggest benefit of commuting from home is saving money. Sure, I pay gas to drive to campus but its total expense does not compare to the cost of room and board. For a family like mine who does not receive any financial aid but still could use it, commuting from home seemed like the best option to save.

Lisabel A  on  7/16/2015 11:41:13 PM commented:

Hi Ashley! I'm an upcoming high school senior who has been taking the bus since freshman year to go to school. I live a good 8 miles away, while most of the students would take no more than 40 minutes to walk to school. So far, I actually enjoy taking the bus, even if it means waking up early, or getting home a tad bit late. I know I'm saving my family money and saving the environment at the same time! And I do agree that commuting can give a person a sense of independence - not being stuck in the vicious cycle of asking parents for rides. Planning my bus route and estimating the destination arrival time prepares me for my college years: to creating plans ahead of time and using my time wisely. It seems like you're having a wonderful time in college so far, and I hope I will to. Thank you very much for your insights!

The college dining hall – a place for food, friends and well-earned breaks. It’s known for a wide array of food bars, buffets, made-to-order stations and generous ice cream offerings. But for the Fall 2020 semester, the dining experience will undergo a reinvention to serve food safely amidst the novel coronavirus. What will the dining halls of the COVID-19 era look like?

New Menus for College Dining in Fall 2020

June 30, 2020 10:56 AM
by Izzy Hall
If you're worried about how you will pay for college during the COVID-19 pandemic, you're not alone. Students and families are concerned about the college financial ramifications as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, and higher education institutions are anticipating an increase in students' financial aid need, as well as a large number of college financial aid appeals. Fortunately, there are ample options and resources to help you pay for college these coming semesters. Explore the various options to find out which works best for your situation - from scholarship deadline extensions to relief provided through the CARES Act and more.

Paying for College during Coronavirus

June 26, 2020 3:48 PM
On June 1st, Kansas State began bringing back student athletes to start football pre-season training with voluntary workouts. By June 20th, with 13 students testing positive for coronavirus, they shut their workout program down. What happened to the Kansas State athletes wasn’t unique – as schools, hoping to bring back the moneymaker that is college football, are discovering. And it provides an early look at what schools could be facing if they plan to re-open their campuses come the fall.

College Football Pre-Season Gets off on Wrong Foot

June 25, 2020 3:14 PM
by Izzy Hall
Students want to go to campus this fall. Schools would like to have them there. But campus won’t be the same as it always has. In order to prevent the spread of coronavirus, colleges and universities are instituting new policies and discussing new living arrangements for their incoming students. Beyond social distancing, face masks and hand sanitizer, here are changes colleges are considering for students living on campus.

What Will Living on Campus Look Like This Fall?

June 16, 2020 10:51 AM
by Izzy Hall
Are you dealing with student debt? You’re not alone. The amount of student debt that Americans owe is a staggeringly-high $1.7 trillion dollars and growing. Almost 70% of graduating high school seniors from the Class of 2019 took out student loans, and it’s likely that percentage will only increase for the Class of 2020. If you’re looking for some help managing your student loans, here are a handful of free and low-cost online resources that can help.

Want Help with Student Debt? Try These Resources

June 12, 2020 9:54 AM
by Izzy Hall
June is Gay Pride Month 2020, which marks the 50th anniversary of annual LGBTQ+ celebrations and traditions. In honor of LGBTQ Pride Month, Scholarships.com is featuring LGBTQ+ college scholarships for lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, and questioning students. There are also scholarships for college for those who identify as an LGBTQ+ ally! View even more financial aid for LGBTQ+ students and allies here.

Pride Month: LGBTQ and Ally Scholarships for 2020