News Articles By Carly Gerber

Realizing the Truth About a College Education

March 19, 2013
by Carly Gerber

During my time at college, I found myself unhappy and unfulfilled. I despised my major and I wasn’t a fan of my campus. This being my second college, I figured it must be that college itself wasn’t for me, so I decided to drop out. I took a few months to experiment with careers that didn’t require college degrees but my choice to leave school kept haunting me.

In the midst of my time away from higher education, I came across a Chicago Tribune article which detailed common misconceptions students have about college....and I realized right away that I was one of those students! Here are just a few points the Trib covered:

• There’s a misconception that a college degree doesn’t hold any value; like any investment, however, a college degree pays off over time. A college graduate’s earnings rise faster and peak later than the earnings of someone with a high school diploma alone. A college degree is not a guarantee of success but grads do have better odds of finding, keeping and excelling at their jobs long term.
  • Another misconception is that it doesn’t matter where you attend college...yet it’s the most important decision regarding your college career! Getting in is half the battle – the other half is deciding where to attend because that could determine if you stay there and get your degree. In real estate, they say the three most important things to consider when buying a house are location, location, location. The same goes for choosing a college: If you hate the location, it’s likely you won’t enjoy your college experience.

After realizing the true importance of a college education, I knew what I had to do. Recognizing that it was the location of my school and the major I had chosen that were bothering me, I spent my time off figuring out a major I want to immerse myself in and finding a university in a location I can’t wait to live. I’ll be returning to school in the fall!

Carly Gerber is majoring in journalism at Columbia College Chicago. She loves fashion and hopes to cover the topic for a Chicago-area magazine. In her free time, she focuses on her blog, loves making jewelry and spending time on Pinterest and Pose. She hopes to use this blog to guide and relate to its followers: college students like herself!

College is expensive. Scholarships.com has done the work for you. Pay for your college education with free college scholarship money. Get matched to college scholarships instantly and start applying today by conducting a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.

Omar L  on  3/27/2013 5:06:35 PM commented:

Realizing the real truth about a college education: It doesn't matter if you get a college education, find out what makes you happy first. You are capable of anything. If you want to be a doctor, sure go to college. There are many cool jobs out there where you don't need a college education. I too dropped out of college because I felt unfulfilled and unsatisfied with how everything was going. Then I took the initiative to try something new: farming. After working on a farm, I realized this was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. When I finally made the decision that I was going to own a farm one day, I also made the decision to go back to college for sustainable agriculture. Not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. Because I know everyday I go to class will be a fun and exciting adventure of learning more about the career I chose. Because I know the connections I make at the college will be more valuable than the actual degree. I disagree with your first statement that a college degree has value, it's what you do with your time and effort and your experiences that hold value. But I do agree with your second statement that location is important. Find a school that has many like minded people and a campus life that attracts you, and you will find it to be a very enjoyable experience!

FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Please take note that the first word in the acronym is Free. You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there are certainly websites out there that will charge you for their assistance. If you are asked for a credit card at any point in the process, you are at one of these sites. If you do not want to pay to complete the FAFSA, be sure to apply at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. The FAFSA must be completed by you and your family each year if you wish to be considered for need-based grants from the college or university you are or will be attending as well as subsidized student loans.

What is the FAFSA?

October 8, 2021 2:52 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
FAFSA is an acronym. It stands for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid". Please take note that the first word in the acronym is "Free". You do not need to pay to fill out the FAFSA but there
A study abroad program can be the beginning of the most exciting chapter of your college experience. Often, the travel, housing, credits and even food are included in the price of the program you choose. However, this is no reason not to look for more financial opportunities!

Want to Study Abroad? Find Scholarships

August 31, 2021 12:30 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
As you get ready for this next big step in your life, this last year at home can feel like the longest and the shortest you ever had! While you prepare to select a college and research scholarships and financial aid, don’t forget to spend some quality time with your friends and family. While movies, even when based on a true story, are always a little bit fantastic, they are also works of art that share experiences among their viewers.

Movie Night! College Classics

August 19, 2021 12:22 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
While the notion of men and women having naturally different aptitudes and interests is slowly becoming a thing of the past, there remain differences in professional compensation between the sexes. Recent studies are still exploring the way women with the same education and occupation as their male counterparts earn less money. There also remains a tendency for jobs dominated by female workers to pay much lower, in general, than those with a larger male employee base.

Fighting the Wage Gap

August 11, 2021 12:21 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
While you work hard to ensure your future at the college of your dreams, it may seem like academic programs and credits are the only things going on there. Once you enter your college or university, you will find that it is one big community made up of many smaller ones. Part of your journey will be to find your specific home there. This may entail finding a teacher you love working with, a project with peers that fuels your creativity or your entrance into an entire academic department.

Netflix's New Fictional Show About Higher Ed

August 5, 2021 10:20 AM
by Scholarships.com Staff
A high school senior from Lithia, Florida has just been awarded the $1,000 grand prize in a scholarship competition. The 16-year-old, Laura Gonzalez, is on track to attend college next fall. She hails from Lithia, a suburb of Tampa in central-east Florida and is completing her last year at Newsome Highschool, with a total population of about 3,000 students. Her small school and community are thrilled for her and are all wishing her the best on her upcoming new chapter in life.

Florida Teen Wins Scholarship!

July 29, 2021 12:44 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
Even after all the battles you have won in applying to schools and getting accepted, there will most likely still be work to get done when it comes to paying tuition. There are two main avenues you can take to try to address this problem: scholarships or student loans:

Student Loans vs. Scholarships

July 13, 2021 2:57 PM
by Scholarships.com Staff
Among the most important things you want to do before applying for a job is to update your resume with relevant experience. Doing so makes it possible for employers to take notice of you, your skills, and what you have to offer their companies. The sooner you clean up and polish your resume, the easier it becomes to submit it to companies seeking employees like you.

Create an Outstanding Resume That Employers Notice

July 7, 2021 11:58 AM
by Scholarships.com Staff
College is expensive. That’s why a majority of college students take out student loans. Nearly 70% of the Class of 2019 took out student loans and graduated with almost $30,000 in debt. It’s a frightening statistic, and it’s part of why Scholarships.com exists to help students discover scholarships to pay for college. In general, scholarships do not entirely replace the need to take out loans. Responsibly borrowing for college can be a worthwhile investment, but for students and their families take out an abundance of student loans, the results can be frustrating – saddled with debt that’s increasingly harder and harder to pay off.

Risks of Over-Borrowing on Student Loans

June 24, 2021 2:08 PM
by Izzy Hall
Summer is the perfect time to take on a student internship. Your class load is lighter, so you have more time to explore options in your preferred industry. There isn’t as much competition from your peers, either, because many have gone elsewhere for summer break, leaving opportunities wide open for you to take advantage of now. Internships open doors in your professional and academic careers by adding to your work experience and offering you a chance to see what a career in your major or interest is truly like.

How to Find a Summer Internship