News Articles By Carly Gerber

Realizing the Truth About a College Education

March 19, 2013
by Carly Gerber

During my time at college, I found myself unhappy and unfulfilled. I despised my major and I wasn’t a fan of my campus. This being my second college, I figured it must be that college itself wasn’t for me, so I decided to drop out. I took a few months to experiment with careers that didn’t require college degrees but my choice to leave school kept haunting me.

In the midst of my time away from higher education, I came across a Chicago Tribune article which detailed common misconceptions students have about college....and I realized right away that I was one of those students! Here are just a few points the Trib covered:

• There’s a misconception that a college degree doesn’t hold any value; like any investment, however, a college degree pays off over time. A college graduate’s earnings rise faster and peak later than the earnings of someone with a high school diploma alone. A college degree is not a guarantee of success but grads do have better odds of finding, keeping and excelling at their jobs long term.
  • Another misconception is that it doesn’t matter where you attend college...yet it’s the most important decision regarding your college career! Getting in is half the battle – the other half is deciding where to attend because that could determine if you stay there and get your degree. In real estate, they say the three most important things to consider when buying a house are location, location, location. The same goes for choosing a college: If you hate the location, it’s likely you won’t enjoy your college experience.

After realizing the true importance of a college education, I knew what I had to do. Recognizing that it was the location of my school and the major I had chosen that were bothering me, I spent my time off figuring out a major I want to immerse myself in and finding a university in a location I can’t wait to live. I’ll be returning to school in the fall!

Carly Gerber is majoring in journalism at Columbia College Chicago. She loves fashion and hopes to cover the topic for a Chicago-area magazine. In her free time, she focuses on her blog, loves making jewelry and spending time on Pinterest and Pose. She hopes to use this blog to guide and relate to its followers: college students like herself!

Omar L  on  3/27/2013 5:06:35 PM commented:

Realizing the real truth about a college education: It doesn't matter if you get a college education, find out what makes you happy first. You are capable of anything. If you want to be a doctor, sure go to college. There are many cool jobs out there where you don't need a college education. I too dropped out of college because I felt unfulfilled and unsatisfied with how everything was going. Then I took the initiative to try something new: farming. After working on a farm, I realized this was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. When I finally made the decision that I was going to own a farm one day, I also made the decision to go back to college for sustainable agriculture. Not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. Because I know everyday I go to class will be a fun and exciting adventure of learning more about the career I chose. Because I know the connections I make at the college will be more valuable than the actual degree. I disagree with your first statement that a college degree has value, it's what you do with your time and effort and your experiences that hold value. But I do agree with your second statement that location is important. Find a school that has many like minded people and a campus life that attracts you, and you will find it to be a very enjoyable experience!

There are a lot of scholarships out there, some more conventional than others. Last time, we discussed a scholarship for students interested in becoming part of the chicken industry, but even that scholarship is far from the weirdest. There are some scholarships out there that have unusual criteria, to say the least. It may be based on something totally out of your control, like your height or last name. It may be awarded on how much you like a card game, or to whomever comes up with the most creative way to use a household product. It may even be for students interested in… potatoes? No joke, these five scholarships are some of the weirder ones on our site. Are you weird enough to apply?

Scholarships.com's Weird Scholarships Part Two

January 21, 2021 3:05 PM
by Izzy Hall
There are scholarships for everything on Scholarships.com; for every major, every community and every kind of student. In fact, we even offer a scholarship for students interested in the chicken industry.

A Scholarship for Chicken?

January 19, 2021 10:16 AM
by Izzy Hall
Southern New Hampshire University plans to cut tuition costs by 50% beginning next fall. This deep tuition price cut is a silver lining to the economic pressure the coronavirus pandemic has put on students and their family’s ability to pay for college. SNHU says that making college accessible and affordable to a wider range of students is its primary goal in slashing tuition prices.

College to Offer Half Price Tuition for Fall 2021

January 7, 2021 10:44 AM
by Izzy Hall
January is all about what’s new at Scholarships.com! From our new homepage to our fresh January scholarship offerings, we’re ready to explore all of what 2021 has to offer. Number one on our 2021 list? These fantastic January scholarships! A lot of scholarships open on January 1st and many have January 31st deadlines. Start your new year off right and get cracking on these eight scholarship opportunities before they’re gone!

New Year, New You, New Scholarships

January 5, 2021 1:27 PM
by Izzy Hall
We’re all looking forward to finally putting 2020 behind us on New Year’s Day. Though we could not have guessed what 2020 would bring us just a year ago, we can look towards the future year with a little more hope in our hearts – as well as take a look at some great scholarship opportunities that will come due during the upcoming months! Athletes, animal lovers, artists and writers – there’s a scholarship opportunity here for you to put on your 2021 calendar. Let’s ring in the new year with a list of great scholarships to start applying to today!

Look Ahead: Our 2021 Scholarship Preview

December 29, 2020 3:10 PM
by Izzy Hall
A free scholarship search at Scholarships.com can hook you up with so many options to win free financial aid towards college costs. There are quick and easy scholarships, essay scholarships, and even scholarships based on artistic portfolios and musical performances. When juggling scholarship applications, college apps, and high school classes, students may want to know – which scholarships should they apply for first? Let our guide on how to prioritize scholarship applications help get you organized.

Guide to Prioritizing Scholarship Applications

December 17, 2020 2:23 PM
by Izzy Hall
HBCU Heroes, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing Historically Black College and University (HBCU) students and schools with scholarships and resources, is hosting a charity Esports tournament on Wednesday, December 16th. Rather than a tip-off on a basketball court, pro athletes and gamers will compete on the virtual courts of NBA2K. A planned $50,000 will be awarded in scholarships, prizes and collegiate Esports lab funding to HBCUs.

Charity Raises Money for HBCUs with Esports Tournament

December 15, 2020 11:34 AM
by Izzy Hall
Tonight is the first night of Hanukkah, the eight-day festival of lights celebrated each winter by Jewish families. During Hanukkah, menorahs are lit, latkes are fried, dreidels are spun and chocolate coins are eaten. If you’re celebrating Hanukkah this year, take some time to apply to these eight Jewish scholarships – one for each night! You’ll give yourself a chance to win a “present” of free financial aid for college.

Celebrate Hanukkah with Eight Jewish Scholarships