News Articles By Carly Gerber

Realizing the Truth About a College Education

March 19, 2013
by Carly Gerber

During my time at college, I found myself unhappy and unfulfilled. I despised my major and I wasn’t a fan of my campus. This being my second college, I figured it must be that college itself wasn’t for me, so I decided to drop out. I took a few months to experiment with careers that didn’t require college degrees but my choice to leave school kept haunting me.

In the midst of my time away from higher education, I came across a Chicago Tribune article which detailed common misconceptions students have about college....and I realized right away that I was one of those students! Here are just a few points the Trib covered:

• There’s a misconception that a college degree doesn’t hold any value; like any investment, however, a college degree pays off over time. A college graduate’s earnings rise faster and peak later than the earnings of someone with a high school diploma alone. A college degree is not a guarantee of success but grads do have better odds of finding, keeping and excelling at their jobs long term.
  • Another misconception is that it doesn’t matter where you attend college...yet it’s the most important decision regarding your college career! Getting in is half the battle – the other half is deciding where to attend because that could determine if you stay there and get your degree. In real estate, they say the three most important things to consider when buying a house are location, location, location. The same goes for choosing a college: If you hate the location, it’s likely you won’t enjoy your college experience.

After realizing the true importance of a college education, I knew what I had to do. Recognizing that it was the location of my school and the major I had chosen that were bothering me, I spent my time off figuring out a major I want to immerse myself in and finding a university in a location I can’t wait to live. I’ll be returning to school in the fall!

Carly Gerber is majoring in journalism at Columbia College Chicago. She loves fashion and hopes to cover the topic for a Chicago-area magazine. In her free time, she focuses on her blog, loves making jewelry and spending time on Pinterest and Pose. She hopes to use this blog to guide and relate to its followers: college students like herself!

Omar L  on  3/27/2013 5:06:35 PM commented:

Realizing the real truth about a college education: It doesn't matter if you get a college education, find out what makes you happy first. You are capable of anything. If you want to be a doctor, sure go to college. There are many cool jobs out there where you don't need a college education. I too dropped out of college because I felt unfulfilled and unsatisfied with how everything was going. Then I took the initiative to try something new: farming. After working on a farm, I realized this was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. When I finally made the decision that I was going to own a farm one day, I also made the decision to go back to college for sustainable agriculture. Not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. Because I know everyday I go to class will be a fun and exciting adventure of learning more about the career I chose. Because I know the connections I make at the college will be more valuable than the actual degree. I disagree with your first statement that a college degree has value, it's what you do with your time and effort and your experiences that hold value. But I do agree with your second statement that location is important. Find a school that has many like minded people and a campus life that attracts you, and you will find it to be a very enjoyable experience!

Facebook is returning to its roots with the launch of Facebook Campus, a college-only space designed to help students connect with fellow classmates over shared interests, according to the press release. The social media giant, which had originally started its life as a networking site for college students, is now refocusing its efforts on connecting students, particularly in the wake of COVID, even if they are away from college. Here's what you can expect from the new Facebook Campus platform if you are a college student:

Facebook Launches New College-Only Student Platform

September 15, 2020 3:30 PM
Today marks the 19th anniversary of the devastating September 11th terrorist attacks on the United States of America. We honor those who lost their lives in the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, as well as the first responders who gave their lives rescuing survivors, and the passengers of Flight 93 who thwarted the hijacker’s plans. The events of September 11, 2001 touched the lives of all Americans and redefined a generation. Now, even in the midst of another national crisis, we feel it is appropriate to take the time to remember this tragedy.

Remembering 9/11

September 11, 2020 11:02 AM
by Izzy Hall
Coronavirus has led many collegiate athletics leagues to cancel or postpone the fall 2020 college sports season. These cancellations affect more than just the players and coaches. Fans – both on and off campus – miss being spectators to high-energy competitive sports like college football that inspire school spirit and foster community. As a result, some schools are turning to competitive Esports to help fill the gap in their fall college athletics.

Missing Fall Athletics? Try Tuning in to College Esports

September 8, 2020 11:43 AM
by Izzy Hall
With many uncertainties surrounding back-to-school plans in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, high school and college students are relying more than ever before on increased support and resources in their college and scholarship search and application process. To help, Scholarships.com has put together a list of top Back-to-School Scholarships worth applying for during this extraordinary academic year. This list features scholarship opportunities that are ongoing despite the coronavirus pandemic. Be sure to also regularly check our Coronavirus News for Students section for the latest impacts on college and scholarships, here.

Top Back-to-School Scholarships 2020

September 4, 2020 1:36 PM
As part of promoting safe living and social distancing on college campus this Fall 2020 semester in the wake of COVID-19, colleges and universities holding in-person classes have cut down on the number of students who can reside in the traditional college dorm. Many colleges have invited just a fraction of the class back to school and are altering traditional double and triple rooms into singles.  Because of this, there are students who would like to live on campus for the fall semester who cannot. Some students have taken to renting rooms at nearby hotels to capture some of that campus magic.

Hotels Make Room for Fall Students Amid Coronavirus