Realizing the Truth About a College Education

March 19, 2013
by Carly Gerber

During my time at college, I found myself unhappy and unfulfilled. I despised my major and I wasn’t a fan of my campus. This being my second college, I figured it must be that college itself wasn’t for me, so I decided to drop out. I took a few months to experiment with careers that didn’t require college degrees but my choice to leave school kept haunting me.

In the midst of my time away from higher education, I came across a Chicago Tribune article which detailed common misconceptions students have about college....and I realized right away that I was one of those students! Here are just a few points the Trib covered:

• There’s a misconception that a college degree doesn’t hold any value; like any investment, however, a college degree pays off over time. A college graduate’s earnings rise faster and peak later than the earnings of someone with a high school diploma alone. A college degree is not a guarantee of success but grads do have better odds of finding, keeping and excelling at their jobs long term.
  • Another misconception is that it doesn’t matter where you attend college...yet it’s the most important decision regarding your college career! Getting in is half the battle – the other half is deciding where to attend because that could determine if you stay there and get your degree. In real estate, they say the three most important things to consider when buying a house are location, location, location. The same goes for choosing a college: If you hate the location, it’s likely you won’t enjoy your college experience.

After realizing the true importance of a college education, I knew what I had to do. Recognizing that it was the location of my school and the major I had chosen that were bothering me, I spent my time off figuring out a major I want to immerse myself in and finding a university in a location I can’t wait to live. I’ll be returning to school in the fall!

Carly Gerber is majoring in journalism at Columbia College Chicago. She loves fashion and hopes to cover the topic for a Chicago-area magazine. In her free time, she focuses on her blog, loves making jewelry and spending time on Pinterest and Pose. She hopes to use this blog to guide and relate to its followers: college students like herself!

Omar L  on  3/27/2013 5:06:35 PM commented:

Realizing the real truth about a college education: It doesn't matter if you get a college education, find out what makes you happy first. You are capable of anything. If you want to be a doctor, sure go to college. There are many cool jobs out there where you don't need a college education. I too dropped out of college because I felt unfulfilled and unsatisfied with how everything was going. Then I took the initiative to try something new: farming. After working on a farm, I realized this was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. When I finally made the decision that I was going to own a farm one day, I also made the decision to go back to college for sustainable agriculture. Not because I needed to, but because I wanted to. Because I know everyday I go to class will be a fun and exciting adventure of learning more about the career I chose. Because I know the connections I make at the college will be more valuable than the actual degree. I disagree with your first statement that a college degree has value, it's what you do with your time and effort and your experiences that hold value. But I do agree with your second statement that location is important. Find a school that has many like minded people and a campus life that attracts you, and you will find it to be a very enjoyable experience!

Monroe College's IT system was hacked last week, disabling many of its technology systems and platforms as hackers demanded $2 million ransom in Bitcoin to restore access. Faculty, students and staff members were locked out of the college's websites but continued to attend class and hand in homework, regardless.

Another College Cyber Attacked, Hackers Demand $2M Ransom

July 16, 2019 4:16 PM
 Three San Bernardino County women who have been accused of stealing $1 million in federal financial aid from Fullerton college, in California, have been arrested by the U.S. Justice Department and are charged with various counts of mail and wire fraud. The scheme involved enrolling hundreds of mainly non-existent students, successfully applying for grants and loans and pocketing the money.

3 Women Charged in $1M Student Financial Aid Fraud

July 2, 2019 11:07 AM

Nothing says 'Merica like these Patriotic Scholarships as we approach Independence Day and remember how, in America, education is a great equalizer. Whether you are an American citizen searching for college scholarships or are studying abroad in the USA, these American-themed scholarships are for those who truly believe in the American dream. In the land of the free, we have plenty of free college scholarships to help you achieve your higher education dreams.

Patriotic Scholarships that Celebrate America

June 27, 2019 1:33 PM

In honor of LGBTQ Pride Month this June, Scholarships.com is recognizing the success of, and providing financial aid resources to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, and queer community and its allies through featured LGBTQ scholarships. These colorful LGBTQ scholarships are not only intended for those who identify as LBTQ or are questioning, but are available to LGBTQ parents and allies, as well. Below is a preview of LGBTQ scholarships that were created to provide economic mobility and equality for LGBTQ students and allies who may face unique challenges on their educational journeys. For even more LGBTQ scholarships, Parent LGBTQ scholarships or LGBTQ Ally scholarships, visit here.

LGBTQ Scholarships for Pride Month

June 6, 2019 3:22 PM

We're bringing the heat with these fiery summer scholarships for which you can apply this summer break. While scholarships are offered year-round, many students have more free time during the summer to devote to scholarship essays and applications, so we encourage you to prioritize financial aid in-between basking in the sun.

Sizzling Summer 2019 Scholarships

June 5, 2019 11:21 AM
 China's Ministry of Education is warning its students about studying in the United States in its first study abroad alert of the year. Students are advised to prepare accordingly given the potential difficulties in acquiring visas since the visa review period has been extended, the validity period has been shortened and the refusal rate has increased.

China Warns Students Against Studying in the U.S.

June 4, 2019 4:24 PM
China's Ministry of Education is warning its students about studying in the United States in its first "study abroad alert" of the year. Students are advised to "prepare accordingly" given the